How I got more grunt from my Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeFrog
My Cars:

How I got more grunt from my Xsara

Post by LeFrog »

1. Got an ECU update
2. Bought some Splitfire sparkplugs
3. Experimented with various fuels to find the best.
It's hard to guess how much extra power, but I'd guess at least five horses.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Next thing would be hotter cams, an induction kit with cold feed and an exhaust. More costly things would be a gas flowed head and forced induction, probably a supercharger so you wouldn't have to mess too much with the internals.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You probably haven't gained extra power, you've probably got your car back to running the way that it should i.e. the old spark plugs could easilly have been causing a power loss you wouldn't notice since it arrived gradually.
Turbocharging is the cheapest way to get a decent amount more power, as long as you limit your boost pressure you'll not have any problems with detonation etc. Superchargers and Turbochargers are no different, if you raise boost pressure a lot they both need the compression ratios lowering, with either low compression heads or pistons.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You probably haven't gained extra power, you've probably got your car back to running the way that it should i.e. the old spark plugs could easilly have been causing a power loss you wouldn't notice since it arrived gradually.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not so. The spark plugs before hand were only a couple of months old and were standard Citroen issue.