Xantia Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrisr

Xantia Suspension

Post by chrisr »

Hello all
I have L reg Xantia 1.9td VSX - mighty impressed so bought another for the wife.
A few weeks in the suspension started doing odd things ie: going up and down of its own accord.
However this was OK until yesterday when the rear suspension went to max height and stayed there!
I set it to lowest and it took an hour to get there! If it is set on normal it just stays where it is. Thus, I have no rear suspension - its either stuck in rock hard max or the rock hard min - and its really horrible to drive. Front does everyyhing it should - any help would be appreciated
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

I hear that there is some sort of plastic adjuster on the rear suspension - could this be broken. Sorry I cant be more helpfull, but I only just bought a Xantia myself and am new to the world Citroens.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

When it on the highest position support the car and as already mentioned check the height adjuster midway between the rear wheels. It has a number of pressure pipes attached to it. To the front you should see a white doubler headed plastic push on connector. This allows for the system to attain the correct ride height as selected. If it is broken stuck or missing it is an easy job, but take care, these cars can quickly squash you.
SSidhu
My Cars:

Post by SSidhu »

For the front going up and down to check antiroll bar first for side movement,if ok you might hv to change both front and rear height correctors for a permanent solution.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Check your filter to see if it has collapsed thereby partially blocking the air intake. After it has stalled next time (if possible) look for fuel in the filter housing or just press the fuel bulb, does it require pumping? Test for continuity of supply to the fuel supply valve to the rear of the pump. Check the small hand fit fuel return pipes attached to the injectore, they are a common fualt for leaking. Has the exhaust been damaged at all or blocked....check. Hope this helps
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Oooops!sorry.....just posted to wrong person!
SSidhu
My Cars:

Post by SSidhu »

John T wereyou errrr.. 'sleepwalking' in another thread...
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Guys, thanks for all the help - invaluable.
The whole bloody actuating mechanism was seized causing the pathetic white plastic actuator to shear - I replaced it and it did the same again. Thats when I found out that the mechanism was seized. What a performance - got it all on the bench - fluid everywhere - sorted it and gave it a thorough going over with LM grease - perfect - it does what it says in the instruction manual. Cheers all
Chris