suspension pressure, STOP and oil pressure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

j_roc

suspension pressure, STOP and oil pressure

Post by j_roc »

Any ideas on the following - The supsension pressure light, STOP light, oil pressure light and overheat light are illuminated from the mo I start the car (a 93' Xantia 1.9td). Any ideas ladies and gentlemen, as I dont want to drive it with the oil pressure light illuminated! All opinions are welcome as im new to the world of Citroens[;)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The STOP light is the master caution. It's activated by one of the other warning lights.
And it means STOP to get the problem(s) sorted.
I take it you did a basic check on these warnings ?
The 3 warnings you mentions all gets activated by an earth switch in their respective sensors. Meaning you could have a general fault in the cable harness where these 3 wires may be earthed by chafing.
Suspension pressure warning means either low LHM reservoir level - or low system pressure - or both.
Find each sensor and disrupt the wire to check the corresponding warning disappears.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

fistly try checking all three levels that lamps refer to,one at a time inbetween see what lamps are still on,i worked on a bx years back with simular prob,it turned out to bed diodes on dash panle flexe printed circuit bereaking down regards malcolm
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Thanks for the info people. I just finished working on the car - I removed the oil pressure sensor plug and the 3 lights went off. I take it that I must have a bad earth on the oil pressure wire. I will delve deeper tomorrow as it looks like I will have to remove quite a few things to fully inspect the wires. Many thanks again for the help[:)]. P.S you dont happen to know what the silver box by the VIN plate (inner wing by the battery) is? Its about 2 1/2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. Wires go into it, then through the wing (behind the bumper) and then I believe they go to a earth plate - is the oil pressure wire earthed here? As i can see 2 wires earthed on 1 spot. 1 yellow and 1 brown - brown being the same colour as the oil pressure sensor wire. I wish that Citroen would use completley diffrent coloured wire over the car. I found 3 brown earths in the same spot. Now how stupid is that? Once again many thanks.
SSidhu
My Cars:

Post by SSidhu »

Hi there ,i am a first timer here and am a avid cit owner...
On a xantia when all warning lighhts come on it is the oil press.
problem,either no press or switch faulty,mostly the latter..the other
lights are for it's individual function only,but oil press prob all
will light up..funny or done on purpose by cits engineers...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yup -
You're right Sidhu -
jr - check out your oil pressure switch (ohm meter)
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Check it?.....Ohms?......F**K! how do I do that? - I do have a multimeeter btw.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ok - ok -
You can of course use a test lamp - if a multimeter panics you [8D]
With engine at idle the oil press switch should go open circuit - test lamp one side at +12V will then not light up other side to the switch.
If it does light up the press switch is at fault - and your wiring is good.
BTW : Earlier Citroens used green & brown small wires all over. The wires have a 10mm coloured marker at end (near plug) to identify usage.
Later Xantia's have an alphanumeric code printed on the wires.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Thanks for all the help. You were right, its a faulty oil pressure switch, I will be off to my local Citroen dealer tomorrow[^]