Straight jacket for BX owners?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Straight jacket for BX owners?

Post by alan s »

One of my sons has a TZi that has always been a pain to wind the drivers window up on. It moaned and groaned when it went up and whilst it came down alright, it never seemed all that happy to me. Eventually it stopped altogether and conveniently enough in the closed position.
He was stopped by a private in the local Gestapo for a breath test a few days ago and Herr officer wasn't impressed that he had to open the door to talk to him so we decided yesterday to sort it out.
Without going into all the gorey details, we fitted another motor from another car but I still didn't like the way it ground its way up so I pulled the winding mechanism out.
I suspect that this has a 'corkscrew' shape to it that causes it to bind as it goes up. In other words, the BX window slides and the aperture for the window have a bend that runs up and the in towards the car, so if the mechanism is strained pointing away from the car, to me it's common sense that this will put strain on the mechanism and hence the motor. It's pushing up and outwards whilst the window is trying to go up and inwards (if that makes sense). I ran out of time and patience last night, so I hope to get back to it later today, but wondering, has anyone else found this? The giveaway was the strain on the actual mechanism when I tried to screw it back in. The striker end bolt sat in OK but the ones at the hinge end went in easy at the bottom but had to be forced at the top.
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On my late CX - which had exactly the same type winder mechanism - I found out that the whole mechanism had to be adjusted in the mounting screw holes.
Finally one summerday I had enogh of the motor jamming and cutting out on the window's way up (my driver's - LHS - side). I then found out the scissor mecanism could be adjusted slightly in the mounting holes. Till the last day it then worked perfect.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

After phaffing about this week with the rears on the BX, the mechanism seems to be at the level of knife and fork technology, I can’t imagine the fronts are any different. It can only be down to adjustment or a spot of lube needed on the scissor pivot points.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This is the bit that has me tossed.
The scissor mechanism looks like new, still bright galvo and everything is so free it feels like it could fall apart, until it's bolted in, whereupon it gets so hard everything seems an effort.
When I took it out, a couple of the nuts I had to use a spanner to screw them off all the way as they were holding hard against the door frame even though the others opposite them almost fell off by finger turning. I pulled the mechanism aout and gave it a twist in what I thought was the correct direction (opposite the twist) but I obviously twisted it the wrong way because not I can't get the studs to come through the door frame so obviously it was twisted a certain way and I've turned it further in the direction of the twist rather than against it.
I'll give it a try turning back the opposite direction and see what happens. I'm a bit interested in this result because my CX had a habit of breaking the alloy drive motor housing on the passengers side door window and I suspected tightness on it too and didn't seem to be able to rid it of it so this problem may be a bit more common than first appears. I reckon it could happen on assemby if a bit of force is used to manouvre the mechanism into the door assembly. We'll see.
Hopefully by the time you guys get up in the morning, I might have a result.
Alan S
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Well, all's well that ends well; eventually.
What a pig of a job. Found two problems. First as I suspected was the winder mechanism had been corkscrewed obviously by whoever installed it that being either the service guy for the previous owner or "Pierre" on a bad morning. It's a dog of a thing to fit in the space allowed and not hard to exert a bit too much force without realising.
The other problem was a screw that had passed clean through a wire at the top front of the door liner; just sloppy assembly noithing else.
Now all goes up 'n down as it should without too much moaning and groaning.
As far as how many man hours it took? You really don't want to know apart from saying if you get the option between taking a head off and tackling one of these; take the head!!![V][V]
Alan S[;)]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

normaly they are a bit tricky,but mostly they just need a good loobing regards malcolm