Berlingo Multispace as a long term prospect?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hswift
My Cars:

Berlingo Multispace as a long term prospect?

Post by hswift »

I'm not convinced my C5 2.2HDI SX estate will carry me reliably through another two years and 50,000 miles (to five years and 100k), so I'm thinking about trying something else. The Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDI has all the space I'll ever need and is cheap as chips, so potentially has a lot going for it. What do you Multispace owners think of its suitability as a replacement for the C5 estate?
First requirement is comfort. Can the car cut it for the daily grind of an hour each way for me and the occasional 200 mile trip with four adult-sized people (plus dogs and luggage) on board?
Is the HDI economical? I can squeeze 44mpg out of the 2.2 on my daily run, should I see better returns from the Berlingo?
Will it last four years and 100k miles? More to the point, will it be reliable over those mileages?
Are there any known problems with this model?
Any experiences you could tell me about will be thankfully received.
H
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If you think that a three year old car is likely to be unable to run to 100,000 at five years old-
What the heck are you doing considering another car from the same manufacturer?
For what it is worth, there are many 2.2 HDI C5s out there with over 100K miles on the clock.
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

It probably will 'cos the van version seems to be capable, even when driven by sadistic couriers, plumbers etc.
Paul.
hswift
My Cars:

Post by hswift »

Fair point, Tom, about there being C5's with 100k on the clock out and about already. Question is, did they get there reliably? C5's seem to spend a lot of their time in the workshop getting warranty niggles sorted out, and mine's no exception. I'm just not convinced that I'm not going to be let down big time when I'm on a mountain road without a phone signal - as I am for at least part of my daily journey - when the manufacturer's warranty obligations have ceased.
No problems with Citroens per se, having had two Xantias and a ZX. I'm therefore curious as to whether another model can cut the mustard as a cheaper alternative.
H
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I'm happy with my Multispace, economy wise its just under 50mpg but that drops when doing 70+ speeds due to the drag factor being akin to a brick.
Comfort wise its fine, no aches/pain.
I'd also go for the Desire model again to get the 'Modutop roof' which is very handy although it can rattle at times, you also get 'built in' roofbars which saves on having to buy them later.
Go for aircon as it does warm up with all that glass.
One thing that does annoy me is that the gearlever throw is too long, making changes less pleasurable and a drivetrain that feels a little sloppy (soft rubber mounts).
Overall, a very useful car for dogs/diy/dump but due to its shorter length long loads won't fit in.
Excellent car for beer runs to France!!
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

I'd echo all of what Richard says but I don't think a direct comparison is easy. Yes, the Berlingo is comfortable and will carry four adults and their luggage easily (and still leave lots of room for beer and wine because the boot is so deep!) and we have done a trip to Montt St Michel (400 miles?) with no complaints but (and here I am comparing with wife's Xantia HDi 110 Exclusive not a C5 which I have little experience of)
1. Driving position is much more upright - might not suit all, though getting in and out is easier for front and rear passengers where creaky joints are a factor! - and the sliding rear doors are excellent in this respect!
2. Fuel economy is not brilliant, mine is averaging 42mpg over 22k, the Xantia is much better especially cruising at 80 on motorway.
3. Motorway cruising is much more relaxed in the Xantia - more power? (and they are surprisingly similar in weight) and more aerodynamic, less affected by cross winds
4. The Berlingo has a good lively engine but the Xantia seems much more powerful and is better on the twisty bits - less body roll?
5. The Xantia has the Hydractive 3 which I think is brilliant - Berlingo doesn't - though it still handles and rides better than most conventionally sprung cars.
6. The "extras" - mine has air con but not the climate control of the Xantia, mine has a radio cassette (I use the radio usually) but the Xantia has a 6 changer CD, and sounds better, mine has the modutop, the Xantia doesn't and it is v useful, mine will carry stuff from IKEA/to the tip that the Xantia won't, the Xant has leather and alloys, the Bling doesn't - would you miss any of these?
7. Now, having demolished the Berlingo, I still have to say that it is excellent as our second car and for what I use it for, and in a few weeks we are off to France in it with my two "kids" (they are both in their mid twenties!) because it is actually more roomy than the Xant and in the back the seats are higher and give a better view, but, if you were to offer to swap your 3 yr old 50k C5 estate for my 2 year old 22k Bling I have a feeling that I would jump at the opportunity!!
In the end, only you can make the choice and it might be worth seeing if you can hire a Bling for a few days to see if it suits you.
Incidentally, the Bling has been totally reliable except for the trim round a door handle falling off - but then our 77k Xantia has needed little other than "wear and tear" (brakes etc) replacements, and our previous Citroens also never had a breakdown - 170k BX, 140k BX and 100k Xantia - a C5 should surely be good for 100k - and more!
Happy Citroening!
SSidhu
My Cars:

Post by SSidhu »

My Blingo1.4 bought new in 02 has been just plain superb with practically no faults at all ,only clutch cable and coil change(my fault) tested it on a xsara and it shorted.)The driving position is
perfect and the space in abundance..Hv carried 6persons in comfort
Only sometimes wish for a bit more power.Changed the 14inchers to 15
for better stability,tried 16inchers on and they were even better
slightly harsher ride but corners could be taken with ease,excellent
brakes, done 40K miles and pads are halfway. Aircond is super cool
for such a large interior.Suspension is miles better than other cars,
I never hesitate to recommend it to any one...you are right about the
trimmings around the door handles they break..
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

I have been told the payload on the multispace is great even with a back seat....