Checklist of things to service - 96 Xantia TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ebod
My Cars:

Checklist of things to service - 96 Xantia TD

Post by ebod »

Hi all,
In March I convinced my brother to get an ol' banger diesel for his 70 mile daily run to/fro work.
I steered him towards a 96 N Xantia TD with 2 owners , 80% history, caravan club stickers and towbar , 98K miles , full MOT , OK bodywork but frosted paint on tailgate....sorted for £500 dabs.
Theres a small oil leak and the occasional clicking noise which I think could be the suspension system that I'm not familiar with.
Now then, £500 outlay is pin-money, but its time to spend a little bit of money on servicing it so it keep tip-top and reliable.
So for a ~100K miles ~10yr old Xantia , what do you blokes recommend ? Please add or subtract based on my plans below :-
Oil-change ( Millers XFD )
Air & Fuel Filters
Gear-Oil / Coolant / Thermostat change.
Aux belt ( but not cam belt assuming its done at 60-70K )
Rocker cover gasket.
Any way to clean out intercooler?
Pollen filter ?
What can I do to trace/fix the clicking noise?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The ticking noise could be the pressre regulator on the hydraulic system. If its a hard metalic click with less than 30 seconds between clicks, thats generally a sign that you need a new accumulator sphere. A good accumulator sphere tends to make the click softer and quieter and less frequent.
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

I would never ASSUME the cambelt has been done. Either the history says it has, or it probably hasn't. My local independent Citroen garage regards 40k as cambelt change time,whatever Citroen say. He has seen too many failures and damage.
Soooo......your belt could have been done 30k ago, 60k ago, or any other figure unless you have PROOF otherwise. Without that it really is change time (especially doing 70m per day).
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Change the LHM and clean the filters. Start by looking at the colour. If it's a bright green, just change it. If it's brownish, use hydraflush for a 1K miles, then fresh LHM. I agree with what others have said about cambelt. For around a tenner, put a new one on it. At the same time check the pulleys and look closely at the water pump.