Xantia XUTD Tuning - Effects

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

capri_tzd
My Cars:

Post by capri_tzd »

Thanks guys, might look into this [:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

How can getting more power out of an engine cause no more stress? If its doing more work, it's under more stress. Perhaps, what Gav @ Dervdoctor should have said was that the power increase was within the amount of stress the engine would tolerate... it'll tolerate any amount of stress you put it under for a limited period and no longer.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I entirely agree! If this was true why have the 1.7TD's got different rods, pistons and oil pumps - if the there was no extra stress these parts wouldn't be needed.
Jeremy
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Granted, but look at the 1.9 MI16 engine. 160bhp and about 130 lb/ft torque, only slightly behind the 1.9 td in terms of torque output but way ahead in the power stakes. Its revs to oblivion and is built out of tin foil when you compare it to the TD. Granted you have to build a TD that bit tougher, but the XUD is built with such a huge margin built in that the 15 - 20 bhp a tune up does really doesnt affect reliabiliy. I ran my 'tuned' 306 past 150K miles in its tuned state, with another 100K in it, which I know is nothing, but I know of a 1.9 N/A which is a friends car and it is absolutely ****ged at 110K. Granted, slightly more stresses will be on the engine if tuned, but look after it and service it regularly and it will still go on for ever and ever when compared to a totally standard example. Its odd how I have seen many TD's go on longer in mileage terms than their NA equivelents.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Yeah, my old 405 NA was buggered at 90k. Smoking, flat, burning oil, back-pressure, the lot. My other 405 GLX TD (that my dad now has in France) is still going strong. Admittedly it has had a new cylinder head cos my dad had a radiator leak, let it run dry, cooked it and warped the head. But, bottom end wise it's fine.
As you say, the Turbo'd engines are beefed up anyway to handle the extra stress. I'm sure that the extra 22 - 26 BHP are well within it's tolerances. 90 BHP is probably at the bottom end for maximum reliablity. Lets face it, anyone of you lot been to rural france? It's all old manky Pugs and Citroens. They never service the damn things and throw em round those country lanes, usually a bit tipsy after a bit too much Pastice and they're still going. For us British lot who are good to our cars with oil and filter/ coolant changes etc, I'm sure 22 - 26 BHP will make not a jot of difference. Also the HDi's share many of the bottom end components with the XUD's. These are pumping out 110 bhp in high end form, and even 130 bhp in Mondeo form with a 16v head, simply re-labelled TDCi (PSA have their finger in so many pies).
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

The 1.9 MI16 can't really be compared with the 1.9 TD, the TD has a much higher compression ratio (almost double that of the petrol), the TD has to be made heavier to cope and to last for 250k without needing a rebuild.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at the Allard site - they publish a book on the subject, graph priced bits and will even do the work for you at what seems a very modest charge.
http://www.allardturbosport.co.uk/
Jeremy
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

http://www.allardturbosport.co.uk/pages ... ions.shtml
Magnetic fuel ioniser. .. £42.54
That says it all.