Battery-indicator stays on with engine off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pierre_verbakel
My Cars:

Battery-indicator stays on with engine off

Post by pierre_verbakel »

In a BX I acquired (Gasoline, 1990 model) the battery-indicatorlight in the dash-board clock-area stays ON. I acquired the car today with a new battery since the other was without any life in it. After switching off the battery the battery-light stayed on, an odd sight from outside with a locked car. I noticed that the guy selling me the car put in a little cable into the generator. I measured the voltage of the still working and charged new battery -> 12.2 Volts. Taking out this little cable makes the battery-indicatorlight to go OFF.
Is there some guru knowing what this means. A faulty electronics part of the generator or ....
All help is apreciated.
Pierre Verbakel
Netherlands
n/a

Post by n/a »

THE GENERATOR (ALTERNATOR) CARBOM BRUSHES ARE WORN REPLACE THE THIS SHOULD SORT THE PROBLEM OR CHANGE THE GEN/ALT WHICH EVER CHEAPER
pierre_verbakel
My Cars:

Thanks,
You are saying the replacement of the generator (or alternator as it is sometimes called) would be best since the carbon brushes would be more expensive?
n/a

Post by n/a »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
THE GENERATOR (ALTERNATOR) CARBOM BRUSHES ARE WORN REPLACE THE THIS SHOULD SORT THE PROBLEM OR CHANGE THE GEN/ALT WHICH EVER CHEAPER

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>I MEAN CARBON BRUSHES FINGERS TOO FAST EYESIGHT LOW SPELLING CRAP
n/a

Post by n/a »

YES SOMETIMES THE BRUSHES NEW CAN COST MORE THAN A SECONHAND ALT AND IS THE CHEAPER WAY TO GO
n/a

Post by n/a »

just as a matter of interest you said you tested the barrery and was receiving 12.1 volts and thought you were charging the battery ,it is not,, this means the alt/gen was not giving out correct voltage which confirms my diagnosis( it should be 13 to 14.5 volts )
DAVE
higgy
My Cars:

Post by higgy »

Sorry to disagree with you mechanicbot but I don't see how the brushes would cause this fault.
IMHO more likley to be diode in the rectifier pack.
n/a

Post by n/a »

that is also true, but on most times i have been called out my dianosis was the fault but without being there i can only give the most plausible soloution and with a multy meter this will be easy to find
DAVE
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

dave, i know this is a bit off the topic, but what might cause a central locking system to keep on unlocking itself? (read the topic: ITS' BACK!!)
have changed the main car battery, will be looking into removing and checking the relays for corrision (1 under central console, 1 under drivers door panel)
dom
n/a

Post by n/a »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
dave, i know this is a bit off the topic, but what might cause a central locking system to keep on unlocking itself? (read the topic: ITS' BACK!!)
have changed the main car battery, will be looking into removing and checking the relays for corrision (1 under central console, 1 under drivers door panel)
dom

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>i think it could be that one of the door sensors is not closing properly could also be a damaged wire in the doorjam shorting the switch this is the norm prob i have come across i will check autodat book if there is other relays
DAVE
pierre_verbakel
My Cars:

Dear all,
thanks for all your input.
To continue my findings. This morning the battery was exhausted completely. Putting in a spare battery and some current measurement indicated the usage of 4 amps (!!!!!!) of current with everything switched off. As course of analysis I unplugged all off the fuses to see which aparatus was responsible for this. I could lower the amps usag to 3 but no more. After some consideration and using the info thanks to you guys I took off the charging cable from the generator (alternator) this took away the problem. I happened to have a spare lying around fitted that and presto. No extraordinary leeching of current at least. Probably the electronics inside the generator is damaged or indeed the brushes leading to this. I still have a charging problem it seems since with a running engine I have a dimmed but visible battery light. I am gonna look for a better spare, which should take care of this problem.
Thanks again.
Pierre Verbakel
higgy
My Cars:

Post by higgy »

If you have a little electronical knowledge and are handy with a soldering iron it should be quite easy to replace the diodes in your alternator.
spanners

Post by spanners »

with reference to shaunthesheep question central locking fault are we talking xantia if yes a common fault is front door lock actuators if its early xantia the bulletin sent out was to remove lock assemblyand loosen small philips screws 1/2 turn this releases pressure on locks you will have to disconnect locks one by one till they stop jumping unless you have diag equipment. very common fault small wiring mod on new locks when fitting.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

spanners
the xantia in question is a '93 model, sx.
thanks for the reply, will keep you all informed of progress.
dom
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

HI.. it seems youve sorted this - and yes , the problem would be in the alternator. BAsically waht happens is this; In any given alternator ( to date anyhow) there are diodes (sometimes ie, the Lucas acr they had a diode (pack) -nice and easy to replace) .. Diodes should pass current in these alternators one way only.. what happens basically is - as youve probably guessed by now, the diode (s) fail and let currect pass both ways....hence your current draw.
The only answer is to do what youve done -- or have it repaired. As someone said , whichever is the cheaper. Incidently, mushed brushes can cause a similar problem sometimes but rarely...they would have to short eveything out! messy!! A dead giveaway with a non charging or similar problem is to note a nice "new" battery fitted !!! (to no avail..money down the pan!! had one only the other day albeit on a F**d!!) same set up.