xantia fuel filter leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

j_roc

xantia fuel filter leak

Post by j_roc »

Can annyone help me with my 1994 Xantia 1.9 td - ive not had the car long and fuel is leaking from the filter housing lid. Should it have a rubber seal or not? also the oil pressure warning light, the stop light and the suspension pressure light have come on all at once! A great car after my old Ford Orion but god is it dogged with problems.
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

The rubber seal is on the filter itself.
If you have checked that the screws holding the filter body lid are tight I would suggest checking the filter: a) Could be in upside down (rubber seal end should be at top under lid); b) Rubber seal may be damaged or missing - or even no filter in there.
If the filter has not been replaced recently it would be worth getting a new one before you investigate.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you put fillter in up side down you wont get lid on because it has a flandge on top end you would never get it down inside housing do not over tighten lid screws you will damage lid and pos treads in housing regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps you dont need to pre/fill fillter housing with fuel before replacing lid as the primer bulb works very well just pump it untill it becomes firm after fitting lid back on
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Thanks for the info. I took the housing lid off, there was a filter in there, but it seemed a loose fit (moving around a lot). Also can annyone shed any light on the oil pressure, STOP and suspension pressure light coming on altogether as soon as the engine starts? This is my first diesel and im still on the learing curve - ha ha.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Its normal for the suspension pressure and Stop lights to come on when you start the engine, but they should go out after a couple of seconds as the hydraulic system pressurises itself.
How long does the oil pressure light stay on for after the engine starts?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

All three lights stay on permanently - and as you can understand i dont want let the engine run for to long as who knows what damage is happening in there. Could it be that all three share the same earth?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I think you could be right in suspecting an earth problem somewhere.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Does annybody know where the earth for the items mentioned above is located? Why do i get the notion in the back of my mind that the head gasket is on the way out (would explain the low oil pressure, although it aint loosing any oil or water externally). I looked inside the oil cap and its fine - no mayo or water in the oil, and there aint no oil in the expansion tank, although there are bubbles in the tank (about the size of a pin head) when the engine is running - pressure cap removed. Any ideas welcomed as im losing my patience and seriousley thinking about buying another Ford Orion!