Do you puts grease on your nuts?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Do you puts grease on your nuts?

Post by Robin »

I have just had two days of Citroening, the Xantia pre MOT and the XM humming wheel bearing.
Anyway, just a thought, I have always put copper ease or similar on my wheel nuts or bolts - do you?
Should it be done or not?
Robin.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I put oil on the threads each time I take them out if they're dry. If you don't oil them you could find yourself stranded with a flat tyre, unable to change it.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Copper grease, it might be a long time before you undo them again[:D][:D][:D] Chance would be a fine thing[:)]
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I always use coppaslip (copper grease) on the threads of wheelbolts, you wont be doing them up to the correct torque if you dont use it as the bolts will stick
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And one tube of it lasts for years!!
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

I use copper grease and tighten the bolts with a torque wrench, so I know I will able to get undo them at the roadside, should I need to. I also use some on the bolt and hook for the spare wheel.
Paul.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

Me too! copper grease on most things to be honest! any nut and bolt i am likely to undo again (that'll be most of them then!). i bought a tub of it and cut a whole in the lid to get a small paint brush in!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Never assemble bolts/nuts dry - inless it's nuts to do it [8D]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Whatever floats your boat...
I think its a good idea, and if I remember I put some on, makes them easier whenever they need to come off (although I have bought myself a windy gun now [:)]). I also use it on the metal valve caps, since they can be a pain to get off some times.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Yes Thankyou.....Anyway back to the Citroen's[:D]
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Another alternative to copper ease is waxoil, I have been using this for years,Never had any problems undoing nuts or bolts afterwards.
Apply liberally to exposed threads.
Clean up the threads first with a wire brush.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

A topic close to my heart.[}:)]
Whilst we don't get the salted roads, I live close to the sea and the air here is almost corrosive enough to make your gold fillings go rusty.
I also have a boat that I do my own work on and due to this, I've always had a policy of greasing every nut & bolt as I reassemble it.
Result is that my 70HP Evinrude Outboard which is over 30 years old, can have any bolt screwed out or nut taken off without snapping, drilling and tapping, much to the amazement of the tradesmen who have happened to have seen parts off it when taken as samples when doing service.
I am presently overhauling a slasher that we've had for 15 years that has been used on wet grass often and the main pulley was taken off without using a puller due to the layer of grease I used when I last pulled it off about 10 years ago.
Alan S
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Yes! I use copper grease on wheel bolts. But whilst on the subject of grease - what's the opinion about putting it on spade terminals. On another forum, where I had two terminals on a caravan water pump in what could possibly be a damp situation, I advocated coating the terminals with grease to stop a build up of corrosion. An electrical 'expert' contradicted and said I was wrong. Opinions?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Copper grease is conductive so unsuitable for electrical applications. I use either Vaseline or silicone grease on electrical connections.
This even works on known to be difficult (i.e. rubbish) applications like the original MZ fuseboxes (see sig). Assembled dry, these are a constant source of trouble and require rebuilding / replacing very frequently. With a bit of non-conductive grease on the spades, they can be OK for a long while.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i was told once by a mechanic that you should never spray electrical connectors with wd 40 as it then accumulates dirt which can knacker your connections..... i would guess if you grease the terminal then cover it with tape you would have a good chance to undo it again easily....