Estate ride height ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caeclyd
My Cars:

Estate ride height ?

Post by caeclyd »

I have just bought a 98 1.9 td estate. My only concern is the ride height . Does this look right ?
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

No. The height can be adjusted but can be a dangerous operation if all safety precautions are not observed. Check the posts on the extensive informatiom on height correctors this past week or so. Hope this helps, but take care.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could be the dreaded plastic link.
If you have never worked on Citroens before BE CAREFUL - IT CAN KILL YOU by dropping on you - so support it properly. if I have mine on stands I always chuck a wheel ramp under the sill and pack it if necessary so that it fits fairly well. I'd rather be alive to buy a new car if I wreck this one!
jeremy
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Could be the dreaded plastic link ?
Height adjuster?
Any photos and why Dreaded??[V]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Loads of recent posts going through about every possible permutation of height problems - please have a look around and I'm sure you will find it instructive.
There is a plastic link connecting the rear height adjuster to the anti-roll bar linkage and if variious bits get stiff through lack of maintenance it breaks or falls off. Not very expensive and easy to find and very common!
jeremy
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Thanks for the advice.
I have just been underneath and could not find any obvious faults.
I have sprayed loads of wd40 and taken her up and down etc.
I think I need to carry out some more research.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Your ride height looks exactly the same as mine did. Same car, same model, same year. The front is correct, the rear too low. To get it right, this is what I did. I put the car with the rear wheels on a ramp. I started the engine and put the suspension on low. I put a tiny mark about 2" above the wheel arch and marked the height on a wooden lathe. I then put the suspension on high and again marked the height on the lathe. I measured the distance between the two marks on the lathe and marked the centre point. I then put the suspension at normal and checked the mark on the lathe with the mark on the car. The car was too low. I placed a jack centrally under the body (just behind the towball) and jacked up until the lathe mark matched the car mark. When it was correct, I switched off and got under the car and undid the clamp on the roll bar. Do NOT loosen the clamp without having secure jacking in place. I then started the engine, tightened the clamp again and removed the jack. Drive the car off the ramp and with the suspension at normal height, check the height mark with the lathe. As a final check, under the car, measure the distance from the chasis to the ground. The height should be 420mm +7/-7. Unless yours is like mine, a 2.1 in which case it will be 425mm.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi as said allreadybe carfull when under hydraulic citroens by just pocking around at linkage it can andwill sudenly drop right down if your not removing wheels then it is safest to put wheel ramp under which ever end you are under also white plastic link betweenhight corrector and roll bar under car aprox mid back axel it is about 2in long snap on to small netal ball aech end if it comes disconected you need new one couple of squid from cit agent regards malcolm
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Thanks JohnD.
When you say "Do NOT loosen the clamp without having secure jacking in place" I assume that you mean jacks/axle stands on the jacking points/chassis.
And is it just a matter off loosening the clamp and letting the roll bar allow the wheels to drop until contact is made?
I had a quick look at the clamp and it is corroded. Are they easy to fit if I break it?
Rory
ps
I may seem fick but I can lift heavy weights[:I]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The clamp is an easy replacement if you miss your luck.
You just need to inform your exact model specification to get the right size clamp fitting the ARB thickness.
The clamp is hinged and opens more than 180deg (if not seized by rust).
WHEN you adjust : do not loosen clamp more than needed to just exactly move it with a light tapping from a small hammer.
Otherwise you will continue to over-do the adjustment and loose control.
Remeber to have engine idle as you quickly use up the spare pressure when changing suspension height.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by caeclyd</i>

Thanks JohnD.
When you say "Do NOT loosen the clamp without having secure jacking in place" I assume that you mean jacks/axle stands on the jacking points/chassis.
I had a quick look at the clamp and it is corroded. Are they easy to fit if I break it?
Rory
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You need jacks each side or one centrally, not axle stands, because you're jacking up the body to the correct height. If the clamp is corroded, I would spray it with W40 and leave it for a few days.
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Gotcha. Thanks
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Well I finally got it sorted.
I started using JohnD's method but to get it to work I had to jack the car up with the engine off.
The clamp was easy to undo with an 11mm socket.
Thanks for the advice
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys i have a question
i dont know if you.ve been reading my post on my xantia,s rear suspension but ive had big probs with mine the top link was broke now replaced linkage was seazed freed up three different height correctors. ok problem adjusted ride height ok as said here car was at right height then drive it off the ramp car sinks to the bottom riase the car to the highest setting goes up ok then let it back down agian it,ll sit ok sit on the back car goes down don,t rise as it should then this could happen raise the car back up agian back end stays down but if i remove the plastic link the car go,s up and down without a problem. by the way my car does have antisink and no sound at all from the front accumilater
any ideas guys [:(]

pete....................................
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i am supprised you have set up your rear hight with out weight on susp you either car should be standing on all four wheels on garage ramp if posor four car ramps will just about do, with engine running on normal hight check correct spec and point to measure from and to,loosen clamp put sturdy screwdriver beween roll bar and hight rod lever it around just a touch wait for susp to settle each time untill you achivecorrect hight lock clap off regards malcolm