Water Leak Xantia 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Water Leak Xantia 1.9TD

Post by soupy_sam »

I have a water leak on the front passengerside on my Xantia,It only leaks when the car has done a run. I think it is the radiator but is there any other water pipes etc in that area to be aware of, before I take the rad out?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi sam i would check all pipes aroud that area and header tank sometimes pipes rub or get soacked in oil at end of engine if you do drain water system make sure you bleed properlywhen reinstalling coolant if you want run down send me a reply regards malcolm
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Are you sure it is a coolant leak? If it is the case you can see the loss over a few days from the header tank?
Look for staining around hose joints, thermostat housing, water pump,any damp carpets inside the car? (heater matrix) check the engine core plugs. I found a leak which came from the windscreen washer reservoir! If you still can not identify the source get the local garage to do a coolant pressure test, that should help.
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

Would like rundown please
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

It is most defenatly a coolant leak I have tried to find where it is coming from without removing anything, but cannot find leak which seems to be intermittant and it only looses about half a pint. I fear that I will have to remove rad and see.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Silly one - you're not overfilling the radiator are you? I expect there are full and empty marks on the header somewhere near the filler cap but sometimes are easier to see with atorch shone down the filler.
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi sam tis i with run down firstly when engine is stone cold remove header cap crank engine over if coolant gushes out you have 99%percent got head gasket gone or craked head if all seems well replace cap run engine till fans cut in wait till they cut back out then gingerly remove cap if whater irupts or more than just a small pisst you have got air or gas in water system.Nowtry bleeding systemwith cap off remove plug top right of rad put coolant in untillit comes out of plug hole when water dose not sink any more at plug point top of rad replace plug run engine for about 5 minsthen replace rac cap run up till fans cut in again wait for them to cut back out remove cap again very gingerly if water setlls you will have sucsefully bled system psyou must have heater control full on hot when bleeding water systemlet me know what outcome is good luck malcolm
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

I have examined the header tank and there are no markings on to indicate full level where should it be filled up to?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

look inside filler neck plastic insert has slots fill to bottom of these slots regards malcolm
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

No coolant rush when engine started [:)] am gonna bleed again
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

There is no plug on top of rad???