ZX diesel leaking oil... only on a long run???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eskimoigloo
My Cars:

ZX diesel leaking oil... only on a long run???

Post by eskimoigloo »

Ok, having fixed my rumbly rear beam thanks to my last post, I took my car for a long run to Scotland (about 400 miles) and lost about 2.5 litres of oil [xx(]. It had never lost oil until this point. We were doing about 90 all the way there, so about 4000 revs. On the way back I stuck to 65-70, and it didn't lose a drop. There is oil all down the back of the engine quite thick up to where the head joins the block, and then not as bad further up the head. It is all over the back and bottom of the sump, and some on the RHS of engine (looking at front of car) and lots all over bottom of car (so it's not burning it, just spewing it out everywhere). Now i can lay under the car whilst it is revving hard, and there are no apparent leaks. Where's it coming from?
Cheers, Chris.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you are only loosing it at high revs, I would suggest the the camshaft cover gasket is leaking
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

I was thinking either that or the sump gasket? There's no breather on the sump on this engine so it can't be a blocked breather can it?
Chris.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The crankcase has a venting system based on the plastic oil filler and will send excess fumes into the air intake somewhere. there are many bits of tube, some clipped and some not. I'd start here and check that all the breateher hoses are clear (blow some air through - should be clear - I don't think there are any plastic restrictors in there. If they are clear see how they fit - they may have gone slack over the years and turn easily. If its a turbo don't forget those under the intercooler.
At high speed the oil can blow round the side of the engine which is confusing.
I'd then look at the volume of crankcase fumes - should be some but if you take the filler cap off and instantly choke you've got problems. - get the idea - some are OK - loads is a problem (probably worn bores)
Other possibilities are camshaft seals (Could come out on RHS of engine behind cambelt - beware!) or head gasket which apparently can leak round the oil passage to the camshaft even if its not blowing from a cylinder.
jeremy
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

just a note, that the gasket on the sump is just some silicone sealant and not a seperate piece. but if it was coming out of there you would get oily patches on the ground
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Ok, rocker cover gasket is currently prime suspect. It appears that the last bodging bugger to own the car has sheared one of the rocker cover bolts off, and has glued the rocker cover to the head at that end (RHS of engine when looking at front of car). At tick-over i can just see oil starting to bubble out. So I will have to try and get the stud out tomorrow and start again. When engine is hot and I open the oil filler there are enough fumes to see that they're there, but not a lot. There are no oily patches on ground so that maybe discounts the sump gasket.
What do you reckon about the rocker cover???
Cheers.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The bolts holding it on screw into the cam caps, if you are lucky a small pair of mole grips or similar might be enough to remove the broken part once the rocker cover is off enabling you to replace the bolt, be lucky.
Stewart
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

If the stud is sheared off flush, and you have access to a welder try placing a nut over the top of the stud and welding it through the hole to the top of the stud.
THe combination of heat and something to grip usually shifts it.
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Managed to get the stud out, there was a tiny bit sticking up with i managed to tap with a small flat screwdriver... phew! Just need to see if this stops my leak now.
Cheers.