Cleaning LHM filters with detergent

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Cleaning LHM filters with detergent

Post by Thunderbird »

Why is it always recomended petrol to clean the LHM filters?
Can't I just use detergent for washing dishes?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

When i had my xm, i used to wash them in the dishwasher when the wife wasnt watching, they come up like new then
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Can't see a problem using detergent so long as you make 100% sure you dry all the water and get all the residue off them before you put them back in as well as making sure you clean and dry the tank thoroughly so there's no surface rust to grind out the internals, but as the stuff just falls off with petrol and it evaporates and leaves no residue, why would you want all that drama just to be different??
I have heard of people accidentally getting coolant into the LHM system and they tell me it's not a pretty sight.[V]
Alan S[;)]
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Alan it's not practical to me to use petrol.
I would have to:
- Buy a recipient to carry the petrol, at the supermaket.
- Buy the petrol (at a petrol station)
- Find an ecological way of geting rid of the used petrol. Go to a garage?
Much more time, money, and trouble, than to wash the filters with the dishes.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I avoid handling petrol and breathing fumes, because the unleaded stuff has so many toxic volatiles in it. In Asutralia, you can buy a litre of Shellite (which is petroleum spirit without the noxious additives) in grocery supermarkets for about A$3.oo. This is a lighter fraction than white spirit, and cleans as well or better than petrol, and is merely highly flammable. Also available from Mobil in larger quantities as B1 solvent. Very useful for cleaning surfaces before applying adhesives, and can be used to dilute enamel paint for spray painting.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I use brake cleaner in a spray, the blast gets rid of any stubborn bits stuck in the mesh.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

The only risk is contamination there may be a microscopic film of detergent left on the filter if this was the recommended method and some one wrote the hydraulic system off from not spending enough time cleaning and drying the filter then citroen/haynes would get sued for damages. Using petrol is good because the residue completely evaporates. dad used cellulose thinners on his filters and they looked new I would consider petrol, thinners or detergent so long as you are careful and make sure you don’t contaminate the LHM.
Andy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I use aerosol brake cleaner too, it evaporates totally.
Stewart
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Thunderbird,
Maybe I am being "conas" (overdoing it) but what abour the water quality with which you will wash the filters? if you are in Lisbon calcium is abundant. Just my two cents! I would consider destilled, de-mineralized water :)