front end whine..again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marco1
My Cars:

front end whine..again

Post by marco1 »

hello chaps,ive got a 5 year old 97,000 mile well cared for full servised xantia.had a whining going round left hand corner drone done the obvious changed wheelbearing...still done it,done the other...still does it, car is in excellent condition,just changed gearbox oil,but did it prior to change.has any one had a similar experience ,could it be final drive? prob. mileage dont seem that high to me,please give me some advise its such a nice car.only started last 6 weeks.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I suppose it could be a bit of end float on the sun gears but it would be a big drama to haul that out to check. I had one on my BX 16V that turned out to be the circlip on the CV that hadn't been pressed into its groove properly allowing the shaft to float when I turned right, particularly if I accellerated at an intersection. It was a strange one in as much as it would start to whine, then increase in intensity & suddenly disappear as I straightened up. Assuming your car would have a central (midway, carrier) bearing on one driveshaft, has that been checked for roughness or movement or end float also?
I presently have one on my CX which is also strange; it's caused by the edge of the tyre rubbing on the front mud flap when I tutn. Frightens the life out of anyone not expecting it!! Must fix those lower control arm bearings one day, then the wheel won't move back.
Alan S