Xan 19td Headgasket list

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil

Xan 19td Headgasket list

Post by basil »

I have identified a headgasket leak[:(][:(]
As the engine is 10yr old/127k was there anything I should have done to prevent this[?]
To repair the engine how much should I replace[?]I am thinking headgasket,headbolts,waterpump,cambelt as essentials.
Extras rad,glowplugs,injectors(new or recon?)cambelt pulleys/tensioner.
Also what special tools are needed [?]
Any hints and tips /pitfalls most welcome[^]
________
Free Gift Card
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi basil no short cuts rad fan not cuting in can cause gasket/cracked head not usual to replace water pump/glowplugs/injecters .Firstly when head is removed have it presure tested because they suffer from being crackedwhich you cant normaly seeif all well have head face skimed properly then have valves set down into head to corect depth if you dont they will come into contact with pistons purchase a quality gasket,head setand bolts .If head cracked you will have to replace it best of luck malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Before you do anything :
Try Ebay for a similar car - it may well be the cheapest option. And you have the option taking the best from both cars before you get rid of the remainings.
Note that the majority of the cost would be labour ...
HG job always means :
1) refinishing the warped head
2) new HG
3) new bolts
Depending on service history new belt, tensioners and waterpump.
If within 3/4 of service life I'd say re-use. Past that re-new.
Tensioner + pump commonly lasts 3 belts.
A new radiator MAY be necessary. Try first remove the existing then judge the flow by flushing it straight/reverse/upside down.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I havn't replaced a Xantia gasket but I have a BX td which is basicly the same engine also a 2.1 td XM which was a nightmare. Something you definitly need to do when you have removed the head is take it to an engineering workshop and get the surface machined to make sure it is absolubtly flat. I obtained from Citroen a special "repair" gasket which appeared to be laminated steel, it was expensive but looks stronger than your average gasket. I had to get the Genuine one because GSF didn't supply one, but they would probably be the cheapest place for your parts. Your components to change list is about right + anthing else that you wont be able to get at once you have put it together. I wouldn't worry about injectors as unless they are causing problems they seem to go on forever. My last XM had done 292k on apparently the originals. It depends of course how much you want to spend, you could have the valves reseated or perhaps more importantly the clearances checked and reset, as these are done with unmarked shims and you dont know what you are going to need, it would probably be just as cheap to let the engineering co do it for you All the above are if you want to make an A1+ job, if the engine was running OK before the gasket went, just have the surface machined and stick it back on.
I00 - 150K is the average life of an XUD gasket, the only thing that might lengthen its life is to make sure you have plenty af antifreeze with an anti corrosion additive in the system. The one I took off my XM practically fell apart, looked as though someone had put battery acid in the rad!
You will need a head gasket set, which includes the manifold and other gaskets, that plus definitly new head bolts and cam belt are the essentials, the other bits at your descretion. I put a new radiator in my XM for good measure because of the time and effort I had invested in the head gasket change, probably not necessary in your case. I hope it goes well.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The two previous replies came in while I was typing this one! all valid points though as I am only writing from my experience.
basil

Post by basil »

Thanks for the quick response.[:)]
I have looked on ebay for a haynes bol,which one do I need to cover my 95 19td [?]
My previous hg replacements have been on smaller petrol engines so I have an idea what to do.What will the important differences be[?]
Have seen cam locking sets for diesel engines ,do Ineed one[?],if so will a cheap one@?15/20 be suitable[?]
________
Roll blunts
Last edited by basil on 22 Feb 2011, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If Xantia TD gaskets only last 100-150k miles, I'd better change the gasket on my older 1.9TD quick.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If it ain't broke dont fix it
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

If Xantia TD gaskets only last 100-150k miles, I'd better change the gasket on my older 1.9TD quick.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In my experience the "original equipment" head gasket on XUD turbo engines tends to fail somewhere between 115k and 140k miles. Having seen many of these, it looks very much like the differential expansion of the head and the block actually fatigues/wears the gasket out, until it fails. When changing the gasket, if you use another fiberous gasket it will probably last another 115k-140k miles (which in most cases is well beyond the life of the car. If you intend to keep the car forever, then the extra cost of the all-metal gasket is probably worth it, as these are aparently far tougher.
I don't know for sure though, as I've never had a car for another 150k miles after changing the gasket!
I agree though.. if it ain't broke, leave it alone. When the gasket fails on an XUD, it tends to come on progressively, so you get plenty (maybe 5k miles) of warning that it needs doing.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

While the head is off its a good idea to replace the two short rubber pipes on either end of the steel water pipe that runs along the back of the block (from the water pump area to the thermostat housing) these are a total pain to replace at any other time and should only cost around a tenner for the pair, insurance, get em while you can[8D]
Stewart
basil

Post by basil »

Update,I spent most of the weekend removing the head.[:)]No major problems just some time consumeing ones[:(].Crankshaft pulley I had to resort to a 2ft pipe extension to my socket bar then using the ground to stop rotation used the starter to undo the nut[:I]Had trouble locating what was holding the head on,it was a dowel on the engine mountig plate[:(]
Head has been skimmed (looks good,shiney and smoooth[8D])
Now for list of new parts.
Headgasket ,old one 2notch.Should I go for metal and how thick[?]
Cam tensioner kit (idle pulley does not spin freely)
Water pump feels quite stiff (still on car)replace
[?]
Rad had evidence of slight leak on bottem edge (intercooler side),date stamp of 95 on base so has done well(127k)
Glo plugs
Injectors-2 came out in one piece,2unscrewed from body so Inow know what the inside looks like
[:I]Can I reuse [?]
Fuel pipes between injectors,is it anything special[?]
Thermostat,dodgy looking water pipes.
jubile clips instead of sprung clips
Any thoughts please
________
SUZUKI JIMNY SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by basil on 22 Feb 2011, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

these metal gaskets may look tougher but they dont seal in quite the same way as fiberus tipe as i have said in other piost you shuld get head presure tested before skim if ok have valves sunk to corect depth otherwise they do contact pistons regards malcolm