KEYS: ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

KEYS: ??

Post by druist »

The citroen 19tds 1995 onwards has electronic key fobs- most key cutters say that it will only unlock the doors and not the ignition is this the case?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I think that 1995 is too early, more like 98 onwards.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I found this to be the case with my '96 XM. Took the key back but got it cheap because it would only unlock the doors, it might be OK but theres a certain ammount of chance involved
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The keys on both of my Xantia keyfobs are electronic folding ones and they most definately operate all of the locks on the car (boot, both doors and ignition). I know this because they're the key I use every day, to get into, out of and to drive my Xantias.
All of the keys are identical, two electronic fob keys per car plus a non-electronic key.
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

On the 98 onwards its an elec key,the dash has a light on it when ignition is turned on and if it recognises the key the light goes out if not the engine wont start.
Foxy
My Cars:

Post by Foxy »

Hi, my 1996 1.9td avantage works(both ign. and locks) with a key cut from my local market place!! I also have a plip which works fine. I must admit that the key was slightly tight in the ign. at first but now works fine!!!!!!!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i think the key cutter means it wont start the car due to the transponder imobiliser although the key should still work in the ignition & release the steering lock.only mk2 xantias have transponders & as far as i was aware the XM was never fitted with a transponder.
druist

Post by druist »

^thats what he said. So i should be able to start my ignition on M reg xantia with a key cut from my local key cutters. This is good news and my other one looks ready to snap. thanks