Possible Ignition or ECU Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardR
My Cars:

Possible Ignition or ECU Problem

Post by RichardR »

I've just started having a problem with my Xsara (2001 2.0 VTS) and I'm wondering whether anyone else has experienced anything similar and might be able to give me any pointers...
When I got home last night, I turned the ignition off, but the engine carried on running! Turning the ignition on and off a few more times persuaded the engine to stop, but all the warning lights stayed on with the ignition in position 1 (rather than just the battery light), and when I turned the ignition off and took the key out, the radio display remained live and the interior lights didn't automatically come on. The characteristic click of the key being removed also seemed to be missing. As well as the erratic warning lights, the display was also reporting an airbag fault, although the car's got a history of erroneous airbag warnings. When I tried again after dinner I was able to get the ignition to behave normally.
This morning when I got to work and turned the ignition off, the engine stopped ok, but the warning lights went mad, and the display reported an engine immobilier fault, along with the orange key warning lamp, although the engine would start ok. Again, after some fiddling, I was able to get everything to perform correctly.
The other thing worth noting is that, on both occassions, I've been unable to lock the car with the plipper whilst the ignition's been playing up.
I suspect that this is probably related to the ignition switch (and hoping it's not ECU related!), but would appreciate any pointers. Can anyone also give me an idea of what element of the ignition switch may need renewing, and how much it might cost?
Thanks, in anticipation,
Richard
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds very much like the ignition switch is failing. A new one will probably cost less than an ECU investigation anyway.
its worth having a look at the connections etc just to make sure there isn't a plug coming undone but it sounds like a switch fault to me - ie isn't moving properly.
Beware of lubricating it with WD 40 or similar - from what you say the switch would seem to be running hot and a lubricant might cause a fire.
In fact if you get the covers off you may be able to feel it running hot after a while - a sure indication of problems.
jeremy
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

Thanks for that information Jeremy. I'll see how it behaves tonight, and will try and check the connector(s).
If the ignition's at fault, can anyone advise me what part might need replacement, and whether it'd mean having to get a new key?
Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

In the old days your dealer could fiddle a new lock barrel to fit your existing key - while-U-wait.
If the electric switch part of the ignition key can be replaced - you only need that bit.
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

I've just had another manifestation of this problem... about an hour after I'd got home and locked the car yesterday, the alarm started going off and wouldn't respond to either plipper. When I unlocked the car with the key and opened the door the CD was playing and I noticed that the light on the aircon button was on. I tried switching the ignition on and off to no avail, and the only way I could stop the alarm in the end was to disconnect the battery and then wait for the internal battery on the siren to die!
I called out the AA but when the guy reconnected the battery everything was working properly again, and his laptop didn't show any error codes when he connected it to the diagnostic port in the fusebox. Based on the symptoms, he guessed that the fault is probably with the multi-function ignition relay and I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about this part or has ever experienced any issues with it. Given the intermittent nature of the problem, I'm tempted to simply buy a new part and fit it rather than pay a garage to investigate a problem that probably won't happen for them, but I need to try and find out exactly what part I need, if anyone might be able to shed any light on this?
Thanks,
Richard
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you replaced the ignition switch?
Jeremy
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Have you replaced the ignition switch?
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sorry Jeremy, I haven't been ignoring your previous suggestion, I've just been sort of living with the problem so far!
I'm planning to find out the cost of an ignition switch and a multi-function ignition relay, if I can find out if the latter part really exists, and then decide if either or both are worth a speculative swap.
My only reservation about the ignition switch theory is that the behaviour of the car isn't akin to the ignition circuit simply being live as I seem to get a random selection of warning lights and messages on the screen, and after the last incident I'm not sure if it's heat related either as the car had been standing for about 45mins before it all kicked off.
Cheers,
Richard