Oh No!! ZX disaster!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bodger
My Cars:

Oh No!! ZX disaster!!

Post by Bodger »

Arranged last night to go to garage saturday tomorrow to sign finance docs and hand over ZX.
Driving to work this morning warning light on temp. guage on. Called breakdown. It looks like the head gasket has gone, no leak but water bubbling out of water pipe. had it towed to workshop of the garage I am buying from and now await bad news. I will have to pay for ZX repair to get the xantia. Do these things have an emotional intelligence!!
Any ideas what the price might be? dimension 1.4i M reg
I am shatterd.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Deepest sympathy, Bodger, you've definitely had more than your share of bad luck with this one......
Chris_L

Post by Chris_L »

Hi Bodger,
Bad news! Well in short, yes, I think ZXs do have an emotional intelligence! I bought my ZX TD Volcane through a contact in the trade at the very cheap price of £2500 4 years ago ('93) when the list price should've been about £4k. So I thought I had an absolute bargain. Shortly afterwards on the way to the garage to get a couple of bits fixed (handbrake cable, couple of bushes etc.) and to give it a service, exactly the same happened to me. Basically the previous owner hadn't had the radiator flushed in years and the silt build up popped the head gasket! At least yours isn't a TD so it shouldn't be quite so messy - mine had warped the head proper style, cooked the block and all the cylinders / pistons were damaged. Rather than write out a blank cheque I got an engine from a scrappers out of a newer ZX TD and had it plonked in. My bill came to ~£1200 which wasn't bad considering! In the end, I still got the car cheaper than the book and with an almost new engine in (the new one had done ~20000 miles). 70000 miles later and no probs (shouldn't have said that!! frantically trying to find some wood to touch...). Not trying to scare you, but just making you aware of the worst! Being a petrol it shouldn't be quite that bad for you.
Good luck!
Chris