SP Tuning Remap.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Fortunately Alec the only time I'm on the M27 when its stood still is going in for a night shift on a Sunday night and coming home off a morning shift on Saturday...bleeding grockles!!!.. otherwise I'm too early or late for the normal rushour.. but I agree it could be that which is increasing the consumption.. I certainly notice the difference in the summer holidays when I'm not dropping the kids off to school and running round town so much.. She certainly is a heavy car to get moving on only a few bhp.
Chris
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Sorry to resurect this old thread, but have been measuring economy since my remap.
Well, in short its definatly increased. Before the remap I struggled to get 50mpg, touching it once in 6000 miles. I have now done another 6000 miles since the remap (and new clutch!!) and the economy hasnt dropped below 52mpg. Highest recorded was 57mpg on one tank. In short, amazing!![:D]
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rossd</i>

Sorry to resurect this old thread, but have been measuring economy since my remap.
Well, in short its definatly increased. Before the remap I struggled to get 50mpg, touching it once in 6000 miles. I have now done another 6000 miles since the remap (and new clutch!!) and the economy hasnt dropped below 52mpg. Highest recorded was 57mpg on one tank. In short, amazing!![:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is very impressive, Im getting 46mpg with my psi powerbox (not on maximum power setting as clutch slip returned),driven normally (in my sense of the word! [:D] ) 5 day commute 25 miles each way. I think I do tend to use full throttle too much though. Im going to fill up tonight- should be interesting as I took it very easy all of last week with the fuel thing (and my refusal to jump on band wagon and panic buy!) so Im hoping its much higher! Whats your average speed when on motorway ross? Do you take it real easy?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I wouldn't say I take it easy as such, use the torque more than the horsepower shall we say, but 4000rpm is used every now and again for overtaking! On the motorways I tend to stick to about 80-85 mph so not too much of a slouch. Tend to see better economy on non-supermarket fuel though for some reason.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Just done my fill up, works out at 51mpg. Pretty poor compared to yours as I was taking it really easy last week, like max 2000rpm, and then change up(some days went into old man mode [|)] and kept it to 60 in the inside lane on m-way!) and max I have been going is 70-75.
Like I say I usually do about 46mpg with 80-85mph driving so based on that mpg compared to your mpg if I went for a remap it would pay for itself in about 26 fillups (I think- worked it out in my head when I was driving along earlier so was very very rough [:I] !), plus theres the extra power [:p], but as I know at the moment my clutch wouldnt take it.
Im probably due a new air filter round about now but I cant see it making much difference to MPG, what you reckon?
I think its obvious that the remap route is a much nicer way of doing it, still, Im glad I didnt do it in the end as I would have had no choice but to fork out for a new clutch (sounds too technical for me[:I]-I stop at brake pads &oil change!). I only paid about £100 for the box (second hand) on fleabay and dont think I'd loose much if anything if I decide to get rid on there again which is a bonus.
Cheers
Paul
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I think thats the main difference between the not-so-complicated tuning boxes and a proper remap. The tuning boxes simply fools the ECU into holding the injectors open longer, thus injecting more fuel (Or raising the fuel pressure so more fuel gets injected in a given time) whereas a remap reprograms the ECU's parameters such as injection advance, quantity, duration etc etc. The remap can probably release just as much power as a box but use less fuel in doing so as more suitable parameters are changed.
One thing that I did notice that improved economy before I had the remap was a full service, I used 5W/40 Fully synthetic oil, changed all filters etc etc, so maybe a full service on yours might do the trick too! [:D]