SP Tuning Remap.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Hi Alec,
I'm tempted to try this undetectable tuning.. currently runing a van aaken box and I can't say I've noticed much difference.
I've got a '99 90bhp Hdi sx estate without turbo.. didn't know they did a 90 turbo'd version. the V A box is supposed to give it 110bhp and hasn't changed the fuel economy.. I'd be interested to hear if there's any difference in your fuel economy.
Could you send me the website address please.
Thanks
Chris
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by c.morewood</i>

Hi Alec,
I'm tempted to try this undetectable tuning.. currently runing a van aaken box and I can't say I've noticed much difference.
I've got a '99 90bhp Hdi sx estate without turbo.. didn't know they did a 90 turbo'd version. the V A box is supposed to give it 110bhp and hasn't changed the fuel economy.. I'd be interested to hear if there's any difference in your fuel economy.
Could you send me the website address please.
Thanks
Chris
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
All HDi engines have a turbo. The difference between an HDi 90 and an HDi 110 is an intercooler. (and obviously different fuel mapping).
If this HDi remapping is as good as it claims to be, you have to wonder why it isn't like that from the factory, or at least offered as a "high performance" model. My worry would be engine longevity. XUD's can manage 300k (and in one case over 900k!) I know HDi's are being reported at 200k these days, but I wonder how long a remapped engine is likely to last.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Hi Chris, Goto ebay and type in "hdi tuning" there you can get it done for a start price of £179 for a Citroen HDi. Or try sp-tuning.co.uk. I will post on fuel economy later. Also f&f is right yours has a turbo like the 110.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

How odd that it takes less time on a Peugeot than a Citroen, I wonder what the differences are?! Thanks for the update, I'm lookng forward to it even more now! [:D]
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Also I agree with F&F regards Longevity of the engine. In my case it was more for fuel economy which from research and sp tuning's feedback is a reported 4-6mpg this is up with the 110 now for fuel economy. Also It's used mostly by my wife or with my wife in the car so it is very rarely driven hard and when it does the fuel consumption wouldn't be more than the standard 90's mpg. I think if you drive balls out all the time i.e rep mobile, max power, mum/dad's car then yes I think the engine won't last as long but looking after it' more frequent oil changes, good quality oil and regular servicing I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last as long. Also one last note if I do get an extra 5mpg, with the the miles we do in it, the re-map will have paid for itself in just 1 year. Not bad eh.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alec</i>

Also I agree with F&F regards Longevity of the engine. In my case it was more for fuel economy which from research and sp tuning's feedback is a reported 4-6mpg this is up with the 110 now for fuel economy. Also It's used mostly by my wife or with my wife in the car so it is very rarely driven hard and when it does the fuel consumption wouldn't be more than the standard 90's mpg. I think if you drive balls out all the time i.e rep mobile, max power, mum/dad's car then yes I think the engine won't last as long but looking after it' more frequent oil changes, good quality oil and regular servicing I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last as long. Also one last note if I do get an extra 5mpg, with the the miles we do in it, the re-map will have paid for itself in just 1 year. Not bad eh.
Hi Alec, so did he come to you or did you go down to his workshop? Gutted Ive not got the cash for this now :-(
Yeah, I agree, if you are using that torque, full throttle all the time, then its not gonna last as long but if you normally drive quite conservatively and everysooften give it a bit of stick I cant see it having a major effect in terms of longevity.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The HDI 90 doesnt have an intercooler so no amount of remapping will make it as efficient as an HDI 110 with an intercooler. I very much doubt that it would have any positive effect on my fuel economy (assuming I had an HDI of course), I tend to drive in high gears and put up with the lack of performance.
Engine life will be shorter than a 110 HDI too, since it needs higher temperatures and pressures to produce the same horsepower due to the lack of an intercooler, in fact full load is where the intercooler does the most work.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

theoretically if the engine is running more efficiently after the remap etc then the longevity of the engine should be as good as std if not better due to the lack of build up from an lesser effiecent lump?????
obviously if its driven like a loon its going to effect the life dramatically but if its well cared for (like all you guys seem to) then i wouldnt have thought there should be any difference??
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Engine life will be shorter than a 110 HDI too, since it needs higher temperatures and pressures to produce the same horsepower due to the lack of an intercooler, in fact full load is where the intercooler does the most work.
Cant be that hard to retro-fit an intercooler though - although on the XSara hdi it does look a nightmare( in terms of access to the turbo to fit associated pipe work etc).
Paul
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Hi Paul, He came to me. All I did was ask how much before the e-bay auction ended. Because he had quite a lot on that day I managed to get it for £20 extra but normally it is £30 extra for where I live.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I too have thought about fitting an intercooler and have asked about this before. No one has done it yet but if I can get one for the right price I will do it. Also I may fit a K & N replacement air filter as this will make the car breathe better.
madmanbob
My Cars:

Post by madmanbob »

Is it only the addition of the intercooler that makes the difference? I was lead to believe that the 110bhp also has a variable vane turbocharger as opposed to a fixed vane on the 90bhp. I could be wrong.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yes, there are many many differences between the 90 and 110, but an intercooler and remap on a 90 will make it a more of a level playing field. The 110 has a variable geometry turbo controlled by the ECU and the 90 has a 'normal' turbo with a wastegate. Also, interestingly, the 110 has the same crankshaft as the XUD9TE (1.9td) engine and the 90 the same crankshaft as the old XUD7TE, the part numbers are identical! Would be interesting to know the differences in the crank design...
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well the chap is coming later this morning to do my 306... I'll let you know how it goes. Current in gear figures (Without remap):
30 - 50 (3rd): approx 4.5 secs
30 - 50 (4th): approx 7.5 secs
50 - 70 (5th): approx 9.5 - 10 secs
50 - 70 (4th): approx 8 secs
Current MPG: Depends, but had up to 50 recently and as low as 45.
I'll do some more timings later to see how they have changed and also report back later with economy figures.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well the results are great. Much more torque from tickover upwards, and fantastic in gear times.
30-50 (3rd): 3.5 seconds
30-50 (4th): 6 seconds
50-70 (5th): 7 seconds
50-70 (4th): 6 seconds
All times are approximate, but the increase from standard is noticable. Jamie who did the work, is a really friendly guy and very polite. He has given me a copy of the original ECU maps on CD should I ever want to go back (Not likely!!)
All in all, recommended.