roller coaster rear suspension!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aboutyeabig
My Cars:

roller coaster rear suspension!!

Post by aboutyeabig »

My 94 1.9TD Xantia LX has the most awful rear suspension before and after rear height corrector change.
On start up, front goes up ok and rear goes up slightly but is far short of the normal setting.
Rear brakes partially seized, both sides, could this be connected to suspension probs?
Suspension goes from maximum to minimum without problem, it just won't sit at the right height for driving.
what is causing the suspension to stop at the wrong height. I replaced the corrector on the citroen garages recommendation, but the problem still persists.???? Am I missing something?
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

robin,
was the rear height correcter set up correctly by the garage when they replaced it?
the dropping in height might be caused by worn spheres on the rear?
or a worm acc sphere?, how many times odes it click a minute?
have you changed any other spheres on the car?
has it had a lhm fluid and flter change?
dom
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Start by bleeding the rear brakes; this will basically bleed any air present in the rear section of the hydraulic system.
Then I would suggest you get the car over a pit or an a 4 poster hoist & adjust the height at the rear.
The binding brakes sounds like air in the system whilst the bouncy ride/only rising slightly, incorrect adjustment of the H/C causing the roller coaster which would be made worse if air is present.
Brakes have to be bled with a load on the rear arms (jack under the rear arm or similar.) NONE of it can be done under the car if it's not supported due to the safety aspect. One wrong move & you're squashed!!
The whole job is less than an hours work, so it shouldn't be a big problem to solve.
Alan S
aboutyeabig
My Cars:

Post by aboutyeabig »

The accumulator was replaced the other month with thankfully stopped the front rise and fall. so i know the accumulator isn't at fault.
height corrector was replaced by myself not gagage, have tried to adjust the ride height but no difference. Just to make sure how do you adjust the rear ride height, think i did the right thing?
Could the membrane in the rear spheres have ruptured causing more fluid to enter the sphere and not the strut?
Whats better recon spheres or new spheres?
bleed the breaks the other day but the fliud didn't come out with much pressure, but didn't think to put the rear under load will try this, thank you
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

[quote/]
"height corrector was replaced by myself not gagage, have tried to adjust the ride height but no difference"
There are two adjustments on height correctors. One is the position of the actual control arm on the rear sway bar which is like a clamp that rotates on it & raises & lowers it. If the couplings/linkages are seized, it won't adjust. Moving it should make a big difference. Give it a hit with WD40 and other lubes to be sure they are free. The other adjustment is on the rod which connects the front & rear height correctors. This shouldn't need touching but sometimes I have seen it wrongly adjusted and requiring a little moving.
Ruptured membranes in spheres cause the car to ride like a bullock dray. Real easy to pick. Another symptom is a sudden lowering of LHM level caused by the fluid entering the sphere area usually accompanied by a sudden overflowing of the LHM tank when an observant owner tops up the tank & parks the car which when it sinks, causes the tank to overflow.
Regards spheres; regassed spheres are regassed. Recon spheres are regassed AND repainted. New spheres are just that. Providing the manufacturing quality is right the new ones are the way to go. Where I am this is not always possible and providing the spheres are properly tested prior to regassing, these can be quite good value.
Alan S
Edited by - alans on 26 Sep 2002 11:57:28