Crap Xantia brakes.......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Everyone who drives my car moans that the brakes are crap. I've noticed the 'panic at the end' approach to braking I seem to have adopted in my car, everything else I drive pulls up nice and smoothly/progressively.
I can't be bothered to do anything about it as it doesn't seem any different to other Xantias I've driven.....
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

jonn

Post by jonn »

Had the same prob with my xantia ,did the bleeding bit ,the sphere bit,the accumilator bit and was still the same !.got rid of the stupid spring as mentioned in previous posts and now i am in brake heaven .i wish my pedal on the m3 felt like the xantia one !
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Just bled a huuuuuge amount of air of the back brakes and I think its cured, played with the spring thing under the pedal but couldn't get it off pedal [:(!]
I'm a bit worried about the history I got with the car though.....
Bleed nipples were absolutely mullered, but managed with a 1/4 drive socket (why they didn't heaven knows) looked like they had given up judging by the state of them, rusty down the hole never seen LHM etc.
Fronts weren't a lot better
Supposed to have been flushed 18 months ago but fluid is black black black[V]
And there is what looks like 2 seals on the back sphere fitting DOH
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Just had a long run, and given the brakes hell[;)] And thanks to you guys the brakes a excellent again, Bleeding all the fluid from the rear cracked it.
Just needs a hydraflush badly[V]
THANKS[:)]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I paid about £12 for my hydraflush + VAT and then a few quid to westroen to do it for me. Money well spent in my opinion.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Unfortunately, air will probably accumulate in rear brake circuit again in a few weeks or months. At least it's happening on my car, causing a short delay in rear brake action
I think it's a design flaw of anti sink system. All spheres are constantly leaking small amounts of nitrogen. On non-anti sink cars, this is not a problem; nitrogen from accumulator sphere, that escaped overnight, is flushed to front or rear suspension cylinders and then gradually through the seals and return pipes to LHM reservoir. On anti sink cars, it will usually also end up in front suspension, as front anti-sink valve usually opens first. But, not always. If rear anti-sink valve opens first, nitrogen bubbles will end up in anti-sink sphere, because it's on lower pressure (usually zero) than rear suspension spheres. And another thing, anti-sink sphere is also leaking. Nitrogen from both sources will partially go to rear brakes. At least that's my theory.
Will try disconnecting anti-sink sphere, hoping that it will solve the problem