Crap Xantia brakes.......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Crap Xantia brakes.......

Post by paranoid »

Since I got the new xant a couple of weeks ago, I have noticed the brakes aren't as hot as the old cars, changed pads, discs seem OK changed accum sphere.
When I brake the cars slows then seems to stop braking so hard and I need to press a bit harder giving very on/off jerky braking.
Not very good at the moment as Mrs F damaged her back in the bump[V]
Any ideas people (cheap as possible as I need to buy a radiator[;)])
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paranoid</i>

very on/off jerky braking.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I take that to be the ABS working?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

No ABS fitted........
If you press the pedal it brakes fine till you have nearly stopped, it then seems to back off a bit till you press harder, I'm sure the back dips a bit as well when the brakes back off although this may be my imagination!!!
Fronts are all OK when I changed pads, sliders ok etc haven't had a chance to check the backs yet.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sort of a brake fading experience ?
Has it come in rather suddenly - or a tendency that has become worse gradually over a longer time span ?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Only had this car a couple of weeks, and it's been like it since I got it. Feels like the car had very hard/ overheated brakes thats why I changed pads, de-glazed discs greased sliders etc but still the same.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

After my own Xant had covered about 70k miles the brakes were quite awful. I bled the system front and rear to flush them through until new LHM emerged and the difference was quite remarkable. I suspect a combination of old fluid, some gas from the spheres and generally just in need of flushing out.
Passing thought. Robin.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Robins Suggestion is my favorite here.
Rather easy to do (though the bleeders could be seized solid [B)])
If you get stuck with the problem - you may try my old diagnosing : http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340
feedback very welcome !
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I would reccommend bleeding the brakes and doing a hydaflush on the hydraulic system. I had hydraflush in for a week and despite westroens feeling that it didn't really need it they changed their mind when they saw the colour the hydraflush was when it came out. I did 1000 motorway miles with it and the hydraflush came out black despite the fact that the old lhm had not looked that bad. This solved my braking issues.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I'd agree with bleeding the brakes, but as well as that it sounds like you could have some warpage on the discs. If you've got access to a dial gauge and a stand you can check them for runout.
I've had run out on my front discs, greasing the slides helped a lot but if they're really bad you'll need to replace the discs.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I would be amazed if this doesn't turn out to be sphere gas that has migrated into the rear brake lines. Advice above to bleed brakes should cure it. Having said that some Xantias retain this as a braking character after everything has been done... very frustrating.
David
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"some Xantias retain this as a braking character after everything has been done... very frustrating."
Is that because that annoying spring thing is still there as arry b mentions above - my non-expert's money is on the spring thing!!!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Well if it's warpage on the discs then you know what to do.. Brake long and hard at speed, many times over! The xantias do seem a bit prone to disk warpage. Mine quickly did on my last set when i used the footbrake to hold the vehicle still at junctions. I eventually got rid of it by useing the technique outlined above and learned to use the handbrake again.. However, I still had this annoying fade and jerks. Hydraflush made a heck of a difference.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D J Woollard</i>

Having said that some Xantias retain this as a braking character after everything has been done... very frustrating.
David
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yep same with mine - the pulsing pedal feel when braking at a moderate speed (hard braking fine, soft braking fine - anything in between.....[xx(]) Bled it to death, new LHM, new spheres, bled it AGAIN.
Learned to live with it.[:)]
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Anders, I've just read you tips on hydraulic problems at http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340. What a model of logical fault diagnosis and clarity of description. Thank you, I've saved it for future reference.
Derek