XM altenator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barwood
My Cars:

XM altenator

Post by barwood »

Being the owner of a 94 XM V6 I wasn't suprised that it took me 5 minutes to find the altenator but has anyone any idea how to get the thing off,looking at it reminds me of my brother in laws Alfa manual--first remove engine!!! But if anyone has any idea's I would be grateful and am I right in thinking all XM petrol models use the same altenator[:)]
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

The easy way to get to the alternator on an Alfa is to take the sump off, you have easy access to it from underneath,
Sadly, this doesnt help you with your XM though i'm afraid
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

NO, the V6 uses the same alternator as the diesel - NOT the 4-cyl petrols (V6 has higher output).
You get the alternator out through the RH wheel arch after removing the stay bar (you'll se what I mean if you remove the plastic inner sheild). Fiddly!
//NiSk
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Does anyone (NiSK?) know if you can replace the bearing(s?) on a Xm alternator? Or even if you can get these bearings 'loose'?
barwood
My Cars:

Post by barwood »

Thanks Nisk I'm now living in France so I should be able to find a dead diesel to get one off,cheers for the wheel arch tip
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yes you can change the bearings - they are standard dimension. If you can get them off or not depends on how hard they have become attached to the shaft/bearing housing and the tools at your disposal. On the ones I have repaired, the bearings have always come out on the shaft and are therefor relatively easy to remove with a small puller. (Applies to Mitsubishi alternator).
//NiSk