pipe cut at brakes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

short_frank
My Cars:

pipe cut at brakes?

Post by short_frank »

I got a tyre changed at the local tyre place today and noticed while the tyre was off that there is a cable cut that leads to a lever on my right hand front brakes as well as an electrical wire cut. The brakes are working and the hydraulic pipe is fine but what is this cable and wire for. It is a 97 1.9 td Xantia.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The cable is the handbrake cable which connects to the lever on the brake caliper.
The wire is most likely the brake pad wear wearning lamp circuit.
- meaning you're facing a handnbrake cable replacement.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I am sure the previous comment was appropriate as the cable is obvious in its function. I assume that you are not refering to a cut earth cable that connects to the pads as a wear sensor???? Just a thought! You will need patience and fingers like ET to change that cable if the hanbrake is faulty. Best of luck!
short_frank
My Cars:

Post by short_frank »

Went under the car today and of course you are both right. My first Citroen and I was thrown as I have never seen a handbrake on front brakes.
Now to get the hands dirty (and probably cut/bleeding as has been my expierience so far with this car).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Be very careful of handbrake cable misplacement/damage on your car. On the Bx it is held in position by a feeble wire clip. I have 2 cars - a megamileage BX TD Estate and a low mileage BX 16 valve and out of 4 wire brackets only one was intact - and that was on the mega mileage estate! On the 16 valve both are broken and the cables have been rubbing on the inside edge of the wheel rims. my point is that they could contact the tyres and wear through the wall, or even a wheel rim over time.
jeremy