V6 24 valve oil changes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

V6 24 valve oil changes

Post by FrenchLeave »

My previous car was a 1998 Pug 406 V6, its recommended oil change frequency was 20,000 miles. My current car is a 1999 XM V6, its recommended oil change frequency is 12,000 miles. Both engines were the same model, light alloy 60 degree V6's with two ohc's per bank and 24 directly actuated valves. Final drive ratios (mph per 1000 rpm in top gear) were about the same. Both engines running on synthetic oil. Can anyone explain why there is such a vast difference in oil change frequency?
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

The answer is easy - marketing strategies.
Most people know nothing about mechanics and appreciate cars that have longer revision intervals, as they will probably get cheaper to maintain (they think).
Oil change intervals depends on many factors. One of them is the engine, other very important is the driving style, yet another, urban/road use, type and quality of oil, etc.
Concerning that V6, if driving is calm, road use, and high quality oil, 20kmiles is ok.
However, if sports driving (higher temperatures), city use, and so so oil, I would recommend 3kmiles instead.
For the other cases, somewhere in the middle. [;)]
That's why in most german cars the computer evaluates the use and driving style to determine when you should change.
In conclusion, it depends...