Major LHM loss/update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Major LHM loss/update

Post by np »

Left work tonight,within 3 miles the stop light & red warning light came on.Car was running fine,no probs.Lifted bonnet,all ok.Noticed LHM float was down,pulled cap off the tank,it was empty[:(!].Looked underneath the car,LHM everywhere at the rear.The whole underneath was covered in LHM,& the rear tailgate(from doing 70mph i spose).After 5 mins on the phone to the recovery,all the LHM was on the road.Not a drop left.Before i switched the car off,i set the suspension to high,which went up as normal,despite the LHM on the road.Didn`t get underneath(just in case)but there is so much LHM under there that i couln`t see where it is coming from.After getting recovered home on the back of the lorry,the suspension is still set on high,hasnt dropped[?].
When i left work tonight,i felt a bump/hit under the car(i work in a quarry at the mo)i presumed it was the rear mudflaps hitting the rough ground at the exit.Maybe i hit a rock or the car bottomed out on the rough road.Then,a mile down the road i noticed the rear window was greasy,so washed it,after another mile it was greasy again.That was the LHM spraying onto it.It was fine when i got to work,with no puddles under neath.So whatever has happend has gone since leaving work untill i pulled over,about 3 miles.Apart from a new rear h/corrector last year,the rest of the suspension is as it was when i got the car 3 1/2 yrs/42k miles ago,inc the spheres.
Untill i get it on the ramps at the w/end,i have no idea what is wrong.Anyone with any sugestions?It looks pretty clutterd under there with pipes,spheres etc.
Sorry about my longest post[:I]but you know all the facts now.
Many thanks[:(!][:(][V][:)]
Not looking forward to the drive to work in a 1.1 Fiesta!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Forgot to mention,the upside is that after nearly 3 yrs since i changed the LHM & filters,allthe LHM that came out was still bright green.
The other thing,will i be able to run the car for 30 secs to get it on the ramps,without doing any damage to the pump?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

How will you get car up with engine running 30 seconds - when there is no LHM left in system [?][8]
You must use a lever on the jacking point - having an assistant placing wooden blocks under the other jacking point.
Sounds like you have either a burst rear suspension cylinder - or a burst feed pipe.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The suspension is still on its highest setting,& the car is still at its highest.All i have to do is put the ramps in place,start it & drive it straight onto them.Then i can put some axle stands underneath just in case.
Just to add,All the LHM loss is center`d around the middle of the car underneath at the rear.Not on the outsides by the wheels.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just a little tip for you so that you don't have problems getting the car up on the ramps as I'd reckon you'd want to run the car as little as possible.
Try this; it prevents the ramps slipping out from under the car as you try to drive up on them. Particularly handy when on a smooth concrete surface.
Alan S
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

The mobile towbar man that used topop into where i worked did exactly that with his ramps! Genious!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Does seem a bit odd. Rapid LHM loss, but the system will still generate pressure, and presumably the anti-sink is still working, since it has stayed up. Perhaps this is brake leak you are looking it (but then you were running on the m-way and it was leaking, hmm). Like you say, you won't know till you get it on the ramps and cleaned up. Maybe the anti-sink valve has failed (see recent posts about just that!). My worry now is that you won't be able to get enough suspension pressure to release the anti-sink valve and lower / depressure the suspension. A big LHM shower might ensue!
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Pump should cope with a short run.. As long as there is enough oil in it to stop the pistons and bearings from binding. If it turns out to be a broken line, I can recommend Hoke Gyrolock stainless compression fittings as a quick and easy fix.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Wouldn't it be worth ten quid to put some LHM in the reservoir? You'll also quickly see where it's coming from.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It sounds to me as if a return pipe has come adrift.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Right then.Suspension is still at max height.Got it on the ramps no probs.Had a clean up,the loss is centered around the Hydractive unit/sphere[?]Between the center sphere & r/hand suspension sphere.As the suspension sphere is dry on the side facing the rear wheel,& the center sphere/left side underneath is dry on the side facing the l/hand wheel.The unit has a sphere fitted on it,with a 8/10mm ish metal pipe & a rubber pipe going in on 1 side,with a electical connector.The other side has a metal pipe coming out of the unit,going to the r/hand side suspension sphere,and 2 small/tiny metal pipes going in to the unit.
Looking at it,the leak seems to have come from where the 8/10mm metal pipe(main feed pipe??) screws in to the unit,next to the rubber pipe.I presume this is the Hydactive unit[?][:I]No mention or pics of it in the BOL`s.
Will do as JohnD says,get some LHM in the tank & run to make sure.9(then get my 1st LHM shower![:D])
Thanks for now.[:(]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Would i have to go through the depressurise procedure when putting some LHM in,or can i just pour it in the tank & start it to see where the leak is from?
Also,checked where i parked it yesterday,there WAS a puddle of LHM on the ground(it has soaked in)with a trail of it from when i pulled away.So the leak started between parking the car at work,& leaving,some 11 hrs.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Releasing the unloading valve will help the pump to self-prime and will reduce the amount of air trapped in the system. On front of the steel lump that holds the main accumulator. 12mm spanner. 60 seconds will have the oil circulating between pump and reservoir.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That must be the hydractive unit. Check Shane's photos here:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/xantia ... pheres.htm
That system should still be under pressure as it goes through the Anti sink valve, then the height corrector, then the hydractive unit (although looking at the diagram in the Citroen guide, it appears that there may be a separate feed to the unit which doesn't come via the A/S valve - maybe it is this that is leaking). As it came up to full height the pump should still be primed. Chuck a couple of litres of LHM in and start the engine, it should prime no bother. If you're lucky you might just get away with nipping the pipe up if the seal is leaking a bit, but it's probably going to need a new seal and or pipe.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Yes Richard,its the Hydractive unit looking at the photos from the link.Cant get any LHM till tomorrow(payday)so will bung a bit in & start it & have a look.Hopefully it IS the union/seal,buts its all very rusty under there.Apart from a R/Height corrector & accum sphere nothing else has been touched in 3 1/2yrs.
I`m toying with the idea of taking it to my indie garage,get them to do it,along with a new set of spheres,& get the Airbag & ABS sorted on it.
Time is one thing i dont have a lot of!