dead anti sink sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

dead anti sink sphere

Post by mark_sp »

Hello all,
Does a dead anti-sink sphere make any noticable difference on a Xantia ?
Mark
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The anti-sink sphere doesn't do anything noticable most of the time.
It provides a reservoir of pressure to the rear brakes so that braking doestn't make the back of the car sink as quickly as it would if it were not there. As for suspension and ride it makes no difference, all it does really is means that the car won't sink when the engine is turned off, it can provide pressure to keep the anti-sink valves closed when the rest of the system is completely de-pressurised.
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

Normally, the rear brakes work with the pressure of the rear suspension cylinders. When the engine is turned off and the main pressure falls below suspension pressure, the anti-sink-valve closes. As the brake pressure is taken before the anti-sink-valve, it's necessary to have a reservoir of pressure in case of a closed valve. That's what the additional sphere is installed for.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

And another thing, anti-sink sphere is, like other spheres, slowly loosing the gas, which gradually acumulates in rear brake circuit, at least on my car
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I'm having that same problem with mine at the moment, and have to bleed the rear brakes every few months. At least I assume its coming from the anti-sink sphere...the strange thing is the gas is always in the osr brake line but there's never any in the nsr.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

I'll probably try disconnecting the anti-sink sphere