BX ride.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goldfinche
My Cars:

BX ride.

Post by goldfinche »

Hello have a question about the ride.The rear arms (bearings), struts have been replaced and the front struts are OK.Below 40mph or so the ride is harsh makes everything wrattle and shake,above it smooths out.The spheres are 2 years old.There seems plenty of suspension travel and its not hard when pressed down.The impression is that the damping is too hard but the spheres are CX (for comfort,Knac***d back).LHM new and no air in system as far as I know. Any ideas anyone?
Thank you all.
Geoff.
1991 1-9 n/a diesel,auto.(now 1-7 TD.)
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Tyre pressures?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Looking at the sphere specs for BX TD and CX Saloon - it seems the CX spheres would have too high a precharge to return the expected comfort.
The problem is the sphere membrane location while driving.
A correct spec sphere would have the sphere membrane just about midway between no-load and bottoming out.
A higher precharge (on a lighter/smaller vehicle) would set the membrane closer to no-load.
Speaking in damping terms - the CX is approx 50% heavier on the front than the BX. Obviously the damping valve is calibrated differently.
Note that the damping valve has <i>nothing</i> to do with the center bore [8]
The center bore is the slow moving damping - i.e. dampens the boating movement when driving along. Too large a bore gives the effect wellknown from huge 60/70'es US cars.
I believe these factors could ruin the expected comfort behaviour.
Lube your front struts for starters !
Then you may have to bite ... - and get the proper front spheres.
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

To reach maximum comfort in a BX, install the spheres of a 1986 Diesel Break (that's what I always have in my BX...).
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Ah thank you. The CX spheres were sugested by someone on another forum.(That will teach me.) OK so new spheres it is.Any sugestions for "comfort spheres" It is realy getting to the point that it's getting really difficult (painfull)to put up with hard suspension.Pain killers and driving don't mix.I can "gas" to any pressures.
Thank you for your trouble.
Cheers
Geoff.
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Thank you BX BASIS your message arrived when I was typing the last message.
The struts are lubed.
Ta
Geoff.