Tuning a two button key - Help required.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rivendell

Tuning a two button key - Help required.

Post by Rivendell »

The two button key/plip alarm thing for my 94' Xantia has started playing silly buggers, and will either work as expected, NOT work at all, or unlock and lock the doors quicker than you can open the door.
I think I need a new plip thing and was heading for a scrap yard to start with, but then wondered how do I tune it in when I get one....?
Suggestions welcomed....
Cheers,
Phil
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

I've been told that it may actually be the ECU thingy that sits under the passenger seat thats causing my problems.........
If anyone feels like chipping in with relevant suggestions and comments then do please feel free......it's always appreciated...
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If you've seen other threads then you'll probably have an idea at how many different opinions there are on a solution....referring to zx threads, there seems to be loads of ways to solve the plip but none never seem to work for each other.....no help i know but just thought id chip in
Regards
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If the remote can unlock and lock the car then it's doing all it is designed to do.
Personally I'd look at the ECU under the passenger seat as it can cause all manner of weird symptoms beyond those you describe. The fact that the doors relock suggest to me that its the ECU rather than the lock.
Don't even consider going to Citroen for the ECU because they charge something like £200 for it, so a breakers looks your best option.
In case you don't know, you will need to remove the passenger seat to get access to the ECU which is situated right under the N/S seat runner.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

WOW.... Citroen really did think about accessability when they designed this car didn't they...? NOT..!!!![:(]
Thanks for the responses guys..... I'll check the breakers soon and then wait for a dry day to rip the seat out and replace the ECU ..... should be bout August time I think...lol
Cheers
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

There was a website with instructions which I used to link to but it has now gone.
Luckily, while sorting out some old files I came across a copy and paste I did from the site.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Page 2
ETEKEY FOB PROGRAMMING CITROEN XSARAâ#128;”XANTIAâ#128;”SYNERGIEâ#128;“ EVASION CENTRAL DOOR LOCK
(1 BUTTON PLIP KEY) Procedure 1.Ensure all doors are unlocked using the key.
2.Press and hold plip key button until LED stops flashing. 3.After releasing
button, LED will light constantly. 4.Press the Plip Button once, and LED will
extinguish. 5.Open the door and hold the Plip key near the Ignition switch, and
press the plip button one time. 6.Now turn the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds
then turn ignition OFF. 7.After 5 seconds, Plip should now operate. CENTRAL DOOR
LOCK with DEADLOCKING
(2 BUTTON PLIP KEY) Procedure 1.Ensure all doors are
unlocked using the key. 2.Press and HOLD the large plip key button while the LED
flashes con-tinuously for 20 seconds. After 20 seconds press the small deadlock
but-ton once while still holding the large button. 3.The LED will stop flashing.
4.Release the large button and the LED will light constantly. 5.Press the large
button one time, and the LED will go out. 6.Open the door and hold the Plip key
near the Ignition switch, and press the large plip button one time. 7.Now turn
the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds then turn ignition OFF. 8.After 5 seconds,
Plip should now operate.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I have just done this job and it is simple but you need one key in the ignition switched to the on position. Then repeatedly press the plip button directly at the receiver very closely numerous times, it will re programme itself. Without another key in the ignition I understand it will not work. If you have ionly one key you will need to seperate the key from the fob. ( remove the rivet) Any probs come back to me.
richiesxantia
My Cars:

Post by richiesxantia »

If the doors lock and unlock quickly when you operate the locks manually (from the inside) then you may have a problem with the Central locking ECU or the door locks themselves.
From what you are saying I'd pull the plip apart and check the ciruit board for the button on the plip - the connections break easily and would account for repeated presses or no action at all. An easy solder job to fix.
The Central Locking ECU is under the centre console directly behind the power window buttons and is easy to change
The Alarm ECU is the one under the seat - there for good reason I suppose.
good luck,
Richie
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

There was a website with instructions which I used to link to but it has now gone.
Luckily, while sorting out some old files I came across a copy and paste I did from the site.
Page 2
ETEKEY FOB PROGRAMMING CITROEN XSARAâ#128;”XANTIAâ#128;”SYNERGIEâ#128;“ EVASION CENTRAL DOOR LOCK
(1 BUTTON PLIP KEY) Procedure 1.Ensure all doors are unlocked using the key.
2.Press and hold plip key button until LED stops flashing. 3.After releasing
button, LED will light constantly. 4.Press the Plip Button once, and LED will
extinguish. 5.Open the door and hold the Plip key near the Ignition switch, and
press the plip button one time. 6.Now turn the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds
then turn ignition OFF. 7.After 5 seconds, Plip should now operate. CENTRAL DOOR
LOCK with DEADLOCKING
(2 BUTTON PLIP KEY) Procedure 1.Ensure all doors are
unlocked using the key. 2.Press and HOLD the large plip key button while the LED
flashes con-tinuously for 20 seconds. After 20 seconds press the small deadlock
but-ton once while still holding the large button. 3.The LED will stop flashing.
4.Release the large button and the LED will light constantly. 5.Press the large
button one time, and the LED will go out. 6.Open the door and hold the Plip key
near the Ignition switch, and press the large plip button one time. 7.Now turn
the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds then turn ignition OFF. 8.After 5 seconds,
Plip should now operate.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A sticky maybe??
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

When I programmed my new plip the old one stopped working is this right?
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

The annoying thing is, so many of us have discussed the fact that the plip will not continue flashing for 20 seconds when you hold the button in. More like 2 seconds and that's it. We've never got to the bottom of it, so I gave up on my plips as a bad idea.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Posted - 25 May 2005 : 15:51:43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="blue"><font size="2"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Hi,
On a 93 to 97 Xantia with 2 button plip.
I sorted my flip out like this. Put your key into igition switch and turn on. Put plip right up to red dome in roof lining, by int. mirror. Press until your hear/feel a click , up to 12 times. Switch off ignition, and aim plip at dome, click it and it should work, ie lock/unlock doors. It works for me everytime. Obviously batteries should be ok in plip. If it doesn`t work, just turn ignition switch to the accessories position and retry the clicking at dome.
This definately works for Xants between 93 and 97. The plip only lights up for the time it takes for micro switch to click. It will not stay on for the times suggested earlier.. You will either have to have 2 keys, or take key from plip.
Hope this helps
Greg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
97 Xantia 2ltr, 16v, VSX .Lovely nick- now going as it should at present---fingers crossed
94 Xantia TD---with a good heater-unusual.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/ ... antiaP.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/ ... .jpg</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size2"></font id="blue">
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Ok so just got my Xantia last weekend and the plip (two button, and the key folds in).
Works properly - led lit bright and fully
Didnt work - led lit slightly but not as much
Not at all - led didnt light at all
So got the batteries replaced (£4) but still it continued, so just squirted some WD40 in it, drain it and put it back together (1 screw) and then sprayed some on the little sender bulb aswell and its fine now.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

I got my plip working this morning after a year of torment. Under microscope I found a tiny break in the connection to the small sender bulb. Christmas has come early!
Terry Brooks
My Cars:

Self-locking Xantia !

Post by Terry Brooks »

Looking at these posts it sounds as though my 1995 Xantia 2 may have the ECU problem discussed.

I got hold of another Plip (2 buttons I/R) and tried programming it. It worked ok but now my original plip will NOT work. I swapped over the circuit board so that I had the right remote with the right key.

NOW, my REAL problem is that the damned car locks itself (Including deadlock which can be real nasty). This happens even when the ignition is switched on and the engine is running. Looking at the posts it looks as though it may be the ECU which is at fault. I checked in the Russek manual but it doesnt even mention C/L :?:
So now the question is. WHERE is the ECU on a 1995 Dimension 1.9TD ?
Is it under the passenger seat as someone suggests, or elsewhere, since this model doesnt have the keypad immobiliser ?

All contributions gratefully accepted :lol: