Xantia Brake Lights problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cerbera
My Cars:

Xantia Brake Lights problem

Post by cerbera »

After noticing that one of the brake lights wasn't working I bought some replacement bulbs to replace it. When I got back, both were not working (only the high level one) so replaced both bulbs. Neither still work. The other lights (reversing etc) are still ok but just nothing from the two brake lights on the bottom. Its a Xantia Estate. Any ideas ??
Cheers
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

I had the same problem with mine , i put it down to bad earthing just twiddle the bulbs around a bit and they should work ok [?]
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Try building up the bulb contacts with solder.
One of the rear lights on my Xantia refused to work, despite there being current at the holder, a good earth and continuity across the bulb. Had me puzzled until I eventually worked out that, although the bulb looked normal and unworn, its contacts weren't quite reaching those of the holder. Trying a few spare bulbs of different makes demonstrated that some worked, but others were unreliable. Perhaps Xantia holders are slightly non-standard (or at least at the extreme of tolerance) in this respect.
cerbera
My Cars:

Post by cerbera »

I'll try both tonight when I get home !
Cheers guys.
cerbera
My Cars:

Post by cerbera »

Yay ! All works fine now. Removed both and put them back in, now seems they are ok again ! Thanks guys.. !
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I hope everything is still ok, cerbera. I've had a spate of brake light and indicator malfunctions that were intermittant. I put it down to goo old Citroen electrics but in the end I had to investigate. Eventually I tracked the problem down to a connector that seems to link the front and rear looms together. It's situated under the carpet at the corner of the floor and wheel arch under the accelerator pedal - protected by a plastic flap. I found mine was comming apart.