Radiator leak fix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ItDontGo
My Cars:

Radiator leak fix

Post by ItDontGo »

A while ago someone mentioned some stuff which is recommended for a leaky Xantia. You said that you could leave it in as a semi-permanent repair.
My Dad's Xantia loses a litre a week or on a long journey I think he said. There is no obvious leak apparently but it must go somewhere!
Would this stuff do?
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

best bet is to find a "leak" check all the pipes of the cooling system/radiator etc, if no crusty stuff (used to be blue crusty stuff on my old VW polo), then maybe check for oil in the water as maybe something more serious has happend?
im a bit new but thats a guess from me!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

The stuff I used is made by Fortes.. I think its called Fortes radiator sealant or something similar.. The water loss is probably being evaported away as steam as the car travels along.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you cant find evidence of a leak, it is unfortunatly most likely that the head gasket is leaking causing pressure in the cooling system and blowing the water out of the overflow. Look for tell tail signs around the water filler cap
roypch

Post by roypch »

I have a leak which I thought was from the radiator (so I replaced it with a new one !). Now it is coming from the braided black hose that runs horizontally below the radiator (I thought this hose is carrying some wires !). coolant is now dripping slowly when the car is running from this black braided hose.
Can anyone help pls... (Car is 1994 Xantia TD SX)