rough XM diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The turbo diesel CX has got a cam belt!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

The turbo diesel CX has got a cam belt!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep .... True, but my CX2500 GTi Turbo <i>petrol</i> doesn't [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The later CX20 & CX22 with the Europe (all-alu) engines also had the belt option ...
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

Gee's,
I wanted one of those XM's too. I think I'll stick with the simple old CX :) No cam-belts, no balance weights etc.... Just a simple old 4banger with a T3 bolted to the exhaust.
seeya,
Shane L.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
When I got the XM I was considering a CX turbo, guess comfort (low noise and good A/C won out in the end. Still not complaining!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The dual mass crankshaft pulley is known to cause trouble on the 1.9 diesels - both on Citroens and Peugeots. It either separates (as yours appears to have done) or just slips so that the timing marks/holes no longer line up. I think I have heard of it happening to the later XM TD12 as well. Citroen changed the pulley at ORG 06778 = May/June 1995. I THINK that the earlier pulley was not dual mass - my '93 TD12 certainly doesn't have one and thats done 530000 km without trouble.
//NiSk
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Thanks NiSk,
This makes sense, if it was slipping for a while that would explain the rough running. And then it finally let go it made a hell of a noise and vibration. My car was built in late '95 from memory (car is not here and I can't recall the orga no.)
Anyone know where I might find a replacement pulley? GSF could supply the belts but not the pulley.
regards
sean
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Just been on the phone to a friendly (and bemused) UK Citroen dealer, with the VIN number of my car he quickly found a camshaft pulley for me. Then he began to talk about timing belt pulleys. The car is at the mechanics workshop and I am only going on phone descriptions from the mechanic here.
Can someone clarify if the Camshaft Pulley (with balancing weights) is the same as the timing belt pulley? I understood that that camshaft pulley that I am seeking runs the belts for A/C, alternator etc.
regards
sean