Locked up radio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Locked up radio

Post by MW »

At last, my 95 Xantia is back from the body shop after its encounter with White Van Man. (WVM was doing a U-turn, resulting in sideways-on impact with my o/s wing, steering, brakes and suspension all knocked out of line.) Wow, it's lovely to have the magic carpet ride back after five weeks of driving a mere Ford courtesy car around.
Anyway, the radio is locked up. It just says 111 on the display, and it isn't responding to any buttons at all. I suppose bodyshop man has tried to blag his way round the code after reconnecting the battery, and the radio has tooken against him and locked him/me out.
It's been like this for 36 hours now since I got the car back. What's the maximum length of the lock-out period? And is there any way I can force the radio to ask for the code to be re-entered? (Yes, I do have the code.)
Incidentally, why did it take five weeks to fix the car, I hear you ask? Well, it was three days to replace the wing, one day to sort out the steering, brakes and damaged wheel, and (get this!) <b>four and a half weeks</b> to obtain an indicator repeater lamp from Citroen!
If you've got one of these two-inch pieces of orange plastic in your spares drawer, better get onto Ebay now. Apparently they're like gold dust.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Tell the insurance company that they'll have to shell out for a new stereo due to the idiots at the bodyshop, alternately it got damaged in the shunt as well.
//NiSk
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

OK, I answered my own question. Duhhhh, my brain hurts. Next time, I must remember to use the excellent search facility on this forum!
So, for the record. How to force the radio into requesting a code? You press the band button for at least five seconds.
How to enter the code? On my radio, you just use the preset buttons (1, 4, 3, 2 or whatever). On some Xants, however, you hit button 1 repeatedly until it comes with thew right number, then you hit button 2 repeatedly for the next digit, then button 3, button 4 and so forth, until you get to the right four numbers on your screen.)
How to finalise the code and enter it? Well, on my Xant I didn't have to. The radio just came back on with all its preset memories intact. (But with volume down to sero, so no sound until I increased it.)
Heaven. Got my Xant back on the road, all shiny and fixed and freshly valeted, and the radio works too. Thanks, all - including everybody whose past posts came up in the Search result.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

On my ZX the code for the radio wasn't accepted, the radio locked up completley so I threw it out.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you know what you're doing (or know someone who does), it's possible to discharge the memory capacitor and start again from scratch.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

On the ZX you have to be very patient! Mine took hours to come up with the "enter code" screen but it did come back.. I drove to York and back, (from Cheshire) and just as I got home up popped the code screen!!
That was about 3 years ago and its been fine since then. [:D]
rpaco
My Cars:

Locked Xantia radio 40345

Post by rpaco »

Sorry cant seem to delete this, only edit it.
Have posted separately now