Leaky oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Leaky oil

Post by np »

I`ll try to explain this the best i can.Got home to night,with a strong smell of burning oil.Had a look under the bonnet & found a bit of oil on the turbo.Thinking the feed pipe had burst.leaked[:(!].But its ok .
The intercooler pipes that cross over the top of the engine,the one that goes to what i presume is the inlet manifold.Where it connects to the ally body(from the i/c pipe to a flexy piece,then a ally curved piece onto the inlet manifold)it seems to have weeped a bit of oil out of the join.(then onto the turbo)Theres no gasket between the 2 mating surfaces,never has been as i`ve had them apart a few times[:D].Can i just put a bit of instant gasket on them,or is it better to get a bit of gasket paper I make a proper gasket?
Thanks [:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I had a leak on that same joint, after cleaning it up I used some "improvised instant gasket" otherwise know as bathroom silicone. I got the joint clean first so that alloy piece is pretty well glued on now.
There is no gasket in there as standard and my two parts were no longer flat so they leaked and needed a gasket, I'm confident that yours will be in a similar situation.
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

Had a look under my bonnet this morning as I was curious as to which joint you were referring. Noticed that mine appears to have been weeping as the pipes under it are quite mucky.
Don't think that bathroom silicone is very good in the long term as it contains acetic acid which corrodes metal. Have seen reports of people having problems from using it to cure windscreen seal leaks and on aluminium thermostat housings on classic cars.
Although my leak is not a problem at the moment I'll probably make a paper gasket and use Hermetite to seal the joint.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I would agree that bathroom silicone isn't the best, but it was to hand and I don't think it will cause any corrosion problems on the pipework where I used it, its pretty hot, dry and oily. Despite my efforts to get it all clean it'll have a nice coating of oil now.
Bathroom silicone isn't good for doing windscreens because it tends not to bond well to a lot of things glass being one of them. In fact most silicones won't guaruntee that they're waterproof long term, there are products that do, e.g. modified silicones (my personal favourite Nail'N'Seal) and latex sealants.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ll put a bit of instant gasket on it.Unless i can get some paper.Hasn`t done it today,so must be only when theres a puddle of oil above the turbo.There seems to be a bit of the manifold where it collects.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Had it apart today doing a service & glowplugs.Cleaned it all up & put a bit of instant gasket on the join.Looking at it,there WAS at some point some silicone/instant gasket on it,as there was tiny traces on it.Hopefully that will keep it looking better now.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Just replaced the Turbo on my 1.9 (not a job to be taken lightly) the gasket I got was from a pug 405 and was a composite gasket in one piece sealing the inlet and exhaust manifolds, the Xantia one I have is a metal one the same shape while the old NA bx seems to get by with an exhaust gasket in three pieces and nothing on the inlet manifold, I have had oil leaking at the rear of the engine for ever and hope this is the cure, the oil spots on the car park appear to be diminishing.
Stewart
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

for a cheap sealant for this sort of joint, bathroom sealant is ok, so long as it's acrylic based. Not only is it completely oil resistant, but it also comes off your hands much more easily! It also doesn't stink like silicone does.