AX Diesel Starting Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lewis M

AX Diesel Starting Problems

Post by Lewis M »

Hi,
I'm having some problems getting the car started and wondered if I could get some advice on what steps to follow to isolate the fault.
(It has recently had new glowplugs and an oil change).
It turns over but just won't start, if I keep trying, it will start after a couple of minutes and several attempts. If I have to go through this routine there is always white smoke. For the rest of the day the car will start without any problem at all.
Thanks.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Mine struggled to start on a couple of attempts, twice in a week so didnt know if changing the plugs would sort it out as it was such an interminent occurence...the only thing i didnt change is the glow plug relay...but the car hasnt done it again since the change last wednesday, but eventually will do the relay to be on the safe side, it could well be the relay
Regards
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Try priming the fuel system before attempting to start it, if that improves things then its a small air leak in the fuel system, if it makes no difference then it could be the cold start relay,If it is the blue box type pop the top off and clean the contacts,
Stewart
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

If it's any help, my fuel pipe is perished where it goes into the fuel filter, all the flexing has caused a crack in the pipe where it goes onto the filter housing.
It's 'sealed' together with some superglue until the weekend, and working a treat.
Before I noticed that, I changed the glow plugs - no joy, surprise surprise ! I would have changed these soon anyway because I don't know the history, and I've already done about 25k in the year that I've had it.
I suppose I ought to replace the timing belt as well, the car has done 255k after all !
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Does the relay light come on?
Lewis M

Post by Lewis M »

Thanks for all your replies, I was outside last night looking under the bonnet.
Answers to the questions:
The relay light does come on, I have also listened to the relay clicking when the key is turned.
I changed the glowplugs about 4 weeks ago but I checked that they were all getting power - they were.
I have tryed priming the fuel system by using the bulb, this didn't work but I did spot a 2" air bubble in the fuel pipe! I changed the fuel filter (needed doing anyway) and bled the system through the injector pipes and on the fuel pump. It started first time. I was very pleased.
This morning it doesn't start. I am assuming there is another air bubble although I can't see this in the clear section of the fuel pipes.
I am completely stumped as to how to locate this leak, there are so many possibilities. Can anybody help?
One thing I did notice was that when I switched off the engine there was a sucking noise that lasted 1-2 seconds. Perhaps this is related, I haven't heard it before.
I haven't looked in the archives yet - will do that now.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Ok, so we're looking for an air leak into the fuel system.
Next time when you expect problems, have someone else start the car, and you look at the area of the fuel pipe where you saw the bubbles.
If the bubbles continue ( they will eventually be much smaller ) when the car seems to be ok, you have a problem in the fuel line probably BEFORE where you see the bubbles.
My problem is a split in the pipe as it joins the fuel filter ( the primer->filter pipe ). The starting was a problem, and the idle ok but a bit "jittery" as small air bubbles were sucked through the split and into the engine.
It's going to be a case of trace the leak. If there are still tiny air bubbles in the clear pipe when the engine is running, then the leak is possibly before ( or in ) that section of clear pipe.
Just keep looking at the obvious points in the fuel line - joins, turns, places where other bits of the car can come into contact etc..
One other place which is known to have problems is in the priming bulb itself - check for splits.
Regards
Mat.
Lewis M

Post by Lewis M »

Mat,
Thanks for the advice - will try to look tonight. Only hitch is that it deosn't start, turns over ok though, thats when I spotted it last time.
I am beginning to think it could be the priming bulb too, there is a noise when I squeeze it that could be an air leak.
Lewis.
Lewis M

Post by Lewis M »

I have finally given up...
Still got the intermitent cold start problem so took it to a garage.
Mechanic said it could be three things:
1) Air in fuel system.
2) Fuel pump problem.
3) Compression problem.
He is going to investigate but he did say if its the compression or fuel pump I may as well scrap it. Is this right?
(Its an N reg AX 1.5D with 100K, good condition. 11 months MOT).
I realy don't want to scrap it - once its started it drives great.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Lewis.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Depends how you value your car? Also depends, could you or a mate change the engine yourselves? My R19 had a warped cylinder head so I sold it for £100 and bought a Mondeo which I ploughed money into and then crashed[}:)] What I should have done is had the cylinder head done on the R19 and had another year of cheap motoring until something else went wrong. Okay it would have cost about £250 and yes I could have bought another car for that money but I knew my Renault and serviced properly and it worked. Mechanics always seem to want to scrap cars. I don't know why? Perhaps cos they are hoping you will give them the car so they can make a mint off the parts or perhaps because they'd rather change oil all day rather than do a meatier job on an old vehicle.?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

If you can start it, run it for a few seconds ( literally ), stop it, and leave it for a few hours, and it starts without a problem, then I would not suspect a compression issue. Likewise I would expect the fuel pump to be troublesome all the time ( unless an internal leak ).
My money is on air getting into the fuel lines.
Was talking to the wife the other day, and regretting selling the Xantia ( not regretting buying the AX ) - we sold it because there had been a number of problems, which we had fixed, and it was working fine when we sold it !
It's 405 replacement split a hose and blew the gasket, we should really have spent £300 replacing the engine, rather than selling it for peanuts, and paying £240+£60 travelling to get the AX.
But we live and learn !
samcro

Post by samcro »

I've been running a 1.5d 106 for the last few years and have noticed a very similar sounding fault. Every now-and-then the car won't start. Plenty of life in the starter motor just no firing in the engine. It's almost as if the engine is not getting any fuel. Haven't solved the problem either as its only intermittent and doesn't happen often. It usually sorts itself after a few minutes and then starts fine as if nothing is wrong.