Central Locking ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dunc55

Central Locking ZX

Post by Dunc55 »

apologies, yes I know there have been numerous takes on the problems you can have with the remote central locking/alarm on the ZX, but here's mine. The CL has recently started to ignore me ! ie when clicking the blipper - the indicators flash to show the immobiliser/alarm is set but the doors don't lock. I have sprayed liberally with WD40 into all the locks, but to no avail. When you click the blipper, or lock/unlock the driver's door - you can hear the clicking of what I presume is a relay under the dash. If I fiddle with the buttons on the doors from inside, eventually the CL starts to work again - but then stops working just as easily !
I suspect that what I have is a sticky lock on one of the doors and I will have to remove the door card to get to it. Am I correct or barking up the wrong tree ? If I am right, i there any way to determine which door is causing the problem so I don't have to strip the lot.
Thanks in advance.
Duncan
Simon H
My Cars:

Post by Simon H »

Duncan
I had a similiar prob on my Zx (with manual CL), try removing the door inners and lubing the activating rods with vaseline, this worked for me, the rod linkages had become stiff due to the original lube drying out!
Regards
Simon H
ZX 1.4iElation
MZTS250/1
Suzuki 600 Bandit
Dunc55

Post by Dunc55 »

Blimey what a pharse ! It turned out to be the control unit jobbie under the dash that was not seating correctly ! Found this out only after having stripped both rear doors and lubed the locks. And then - guess what - job done, happy, slams the door with smug grin [:D] - and F$%^ I've locked the keys in the car ! [:(]- It's a 5 door. Yes, I have a spare key, but where is it ?
I am currently revamping my kitchen so things are everywhere and the spare citroen key has a habit of falling of the rack - great. I look - and it's not there ! [:0] Despair - brick ? Bit of bendy plastic ? coathanger bent skillfully ? Not a chance. Then I find the little swine !
Big phew ! [:D]
another 1/2 hour job that took 2 hours and took 2 years off my life !
Dunc55

Post by Dunc55 »

Must have been overexcited - should have been farce !