Leak off pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Leak off pipes

Post by np »

I did a search but couldn`t really find an answer.I`m givin the Xantia its service at the w/end,oil,fiters,glowplugs([:(!][:D]).Want to replace the leak off pipes as well,but what with?Do i need special pipe,or "just" normal tubing[:I]?Are they pressurised when the engine is running,hence "special" pipe?
I dont know.Many thanks[:)]
ghostrider
My Cars:

Leak off pipes

Post by ghostrider »

the leak offs work at fairly low pressure, you just need tube that is not attacked by diesel, so clear plastic doesn't work too well as it tends to harden, and I can't remeber whether it's butyl or natural that tends to swell under the influence, the stuff that the windscreen washer pipe is made of tends to swell, I know I tried it in desparation one day [:D]
Pete

________
Burn Notice Dicussion
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

GSF sell it in length's, so all you have to do is cut it to size.
Louis
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Hi np,
The leak off pipes on my XM are looking worse for wear, I would be very interested to know how you go with replacing yours.
regards
sean
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Never done them myself,so will see how it goes & let you know.Although i have an oil leak now,so will do that as well as the service.May not get around to doing the pipes,but will let you all know anyway.[:)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Did`nt get around to doing the service/pipes today as i had to work this morning,so couldn`t pick my parts up[:(].Will have to wait till next w/end now.My local car shop dosen`t do the leak off pipes,so will have to look else where.Bristol GSF shop is on the other side of the city for me & a pig to get to.[:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I cut the old leak off pipe with a knife, pulling with pliers can bend the barbed stub they push onto, the replacement pipe I get has a fabric braid outer and rubber inside and pushes easily onto the stubs, the end stubs have "stop ends" on them and the ones supplied with the pipe dont appear to work very well, so I use an inch of the same pipe and pop a self tapper in the end to make a stop, easy ten minute job on a Xantia, longer on anything with a top mounted intercooler (best removed)
Stewart
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Service the car today at long last,even though its off the road(RE-Major lhm loss).Done the glow plugs in about an hour & half,inc stripping all the pipes etc.Not bad at all i thought.No 4 not to bad.Just bent a few old spanners.Easy.
Anyway,cant get any leakoff pipe locally,so will have to go to GSF or Cit/Pug.When i`d finished,i primed the fuel system,the bulb went hard,& i gave it a few extra pumps.I could hear a hissing coming from somewhere,so it looks like i have a slight air leak.No diesel anywhere though,so could be the leak off pipes.Car starts better for new glowplugs.Beru aswell,though old ones were very clean.