Xantia Prices

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Xantia Prices

Post by dillosk8ter »

As Im thinking of changing my car(s) at some point later this year I thought I'd check up on Xantia prices, haven't done this for year and a half to two years....what a shock I got, can't believe how much they've crashed!!! I can get a really decent one for below a grand!!!!
Now, are there models/engines that are best avoided?
Although Im pretty decided on TD.
I've read that the Xantia ride isn't that great, less good than BX and probably about Mondeo levels of comfort? That can't be true can it?
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

My advises are:
- Avoid Xantia mk1 (1993-1998). Xantia mk2 is much more reliable, better built, has better safety, and better ergonomics.
- The HDi is more economical, more powerful, and produces much less noise and vibrations than the TD versions.
Concerning the ride, Xantia is much better than a Mondeo, if everything is in good condition: Clean LHM, spheres with correct pressure, height correctors in good shape, etc.
It's true that a Citroen DS is on another class. True magic carpet ride If wasn't the rust and the radical body-roll... Not ideal for a daily use, however.
Now, comparing the Xantia mk2 with a BX would be like comparing a car (the Xantia) with a plastic toy (the BX)... [:D]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>

Now, comparing the Xantia mk2 with a BX would be like comparing a car (the Xantia) with a plastic toy (the BX)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's called progress. It's like trying to compare a Ford Cortina to a Mondeo, why would you try?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Right, OK then, so the Bx is a plastic toy is it? Agreed that the roof, tailgate and bonnet are in fact plastic, what makes the rest of the car a "toy" then?
Toys are things that my small daughters play with. They don't play with the BX. I use that for driving over long distances and towing very heavy things. Which the BX does very well indeed.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Big boys toy? [:D] (sorry Jon, couldn't resist) [:D][:D]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The only difference between men and boys is the quality of their toys!!
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

nice as the Mk 2 Xantia's seem, the insurance rocketed up think I read that the HDI was in group 13, as Im only 22 this would work out expensive.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

No comment to the HDi non hydractive, non Activa, non BX fan club (of 1) above.
Personally I’d say test drive a vsx and an SX if neither suite you then its not the car for you. The phase 2's are safer due to the airbags but not that much of an improvement compared to today’s standards. The diesels are all good on fuel the 110 hdi and 110 2.1 are well suited to the car as they have the torque and bhp needed to move the car well the 1.6 and 1.8 Patrols are often called gutless but both are good on fuel. The 2l turbo and V6 are expensive to run but will move like you wont believe and the V6 reeks of class.
Andy
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Had a brief test drive in a 1.9td estate over a year ago but it had completley shot suspension, engine was relativly quick and refined but not lighting. HDi is outta my price range, take it 1.9D isn't that hot?
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

its underpowerd because of the weight of the car, the 1.9 turbo is a littls slow off the mark too. i guess it depends what you want my dad is happy with the 1.9td and it seems to move with him behing the wheel but others sware by the 2.1 and 110hdi. if your on a budget i would sugest the 1.9td or a BX DTR or TZD 1.7 turbo as there a lot of fun and very comfortable.
Actualy i just noticed your signature. going from a 1.4 BX i would highley recomend a BX 1.7 TD eather the TZD or DTR as there really really good cars. The problem with the xantia is that its a lot heavyer and this detracts from the cars engine performance. i always found that the DTR brought a smile to my face and honeslty my 2.1 activa if it can do the same thing then in my opinion the project will have been a sucess.
Andy
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Quite like TZD's and like BX's, alot, but unsure if I'd get another. Wanted something more solid, safer.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I had a spin in Tom Shepherds TZD on the Mad BX Weekend, I was very impressed with the performance even on my very short drive around a housing estate. If cheap economical performance is what you are after, it would be one to think about.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

What about a 19TXD, I enjoy drivin my dads 309 D thought they would be similar?
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

With the recent purchase of a 98 xantia td lx estate im impressed with the face lift front towards the pre 98 models and the trim feels better but beware!!!! the pre 98 td lx estate is insurance group 9,where the 98 td lx onwards models are group 12 an added £270 for me [B)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Well, I have both; a BX16V and a Xantia VSX and a 94 model with 220,000 klms on it.
Of the two in my case, the Xantia is head and shoulders over the BX but as I say, the BX is a 16V and it's built for performance not reliability, you have to choose between one and the other. With a turbo diesel, you can get the best of both worlds, a n/a diesel the ultra reliability as a comparison. In my case, the Xantia is a shopping trolley and general hack, the BX is the fun machine.
Having said all that, my son has a TZi in a BX and if he asked me to swap tommorrow, I would definitely swap the Xantia for the BX.
A good BX is a fantastic motor car. Nippy performance, good fuel economy, not rust prone and very reliable if it's maintained correctly, there seem to be more high mileage BXs than possibly any other Cit ever made which tells you something.
I would choose between the two if I were in the market based on the particular vehicles condition and apparent service history (as opposed to it's recorded service history).
As regards ride, I find the Xantia slightly better than a 16V and on par with the TZi but in a different sense mainly due to the nature of each beast. The Xantia rides very large car feeling whereas the BX tends towards having a sportier type of ride. I think a lot of Xantia owners are dissatisfied with the ride because their suspensions are not set up correctly. Mine wasn't when I bought it and I found 6 spheres all needing replacing and the front two set at odd pressures, so I'd suggest if you go for a Xantia, give it and youself a fighting chance by ditching the suspension spheres first up, change the fluid and start from scratch.
A cheap BX as a few here have done, bringing back to former glory is still a good option and anyone who disagrees either hasn't owned one or needed lessons in servicing them; they are still a brilliant workhorse.
Alan S[;)]