berlingo 1.9d exhaust noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KEVCN
My Cars:

berlingo 1.9d exhaust noise

Post by KEVCN »

Hi, I've posted this one a few months ago and tried the suggestions (cheers), but still no luck.....
I've got a '04 berlingo 1.9 diesel van (from new)....
On startup(high tickover),about 1800rpm and just above 3000rpm there is a very very ominous vibration/resonance, like a low pithed drone type sound.....
It comes from the exhaust, 'cause if i get someone to put their foot at the rear of the exhaust,it gets rid of it.... It is caused by the engine vibrating though.... the exhaust is ridgidly bolted to the motor and acts as an amplifier in this case!!!! Its been back to the dealer and they replaced something and said nothings wrong....
any info would be really really apreciated >>>>> Kev....
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

my 405 TD does this too. Moderate resonance at 1900 rpm and then a really bad one at about 3050-3100 rpm. I have found that it is just a rubbish exhaust pipe. There are no holes or splits in the pipe, it just resonates. A friend with a similar 1.9TD 405 has no problems at all, and the exhausts are almost identical.
First things to check are that the exhaust isn't touching the bodywork at any point. This can be hard, and usually needs a hoist or a pit to be able to see it all properly. After that, I would dismantle the pip-to-manifold joint, and slap a load of non-setting exhaust compound on the sealing ring. Then do it all back up again. If that all fails, then it's new exhaust pipe time.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You can get loose baffles, rust or other rubbish accumulating in your silencers which can cause resonant noise, apparently its quite common. If you've got something like that, you can take the silencers off and see if it will shake out or in the very least you can shake it and see if it rattles.
Check your exhaust mounts too, if the rubber gets tired the exhaust can move where its not supposed to and check that the heatshields are in the correct place too.
Go sparingly with the exhaust sealing compound if you use too much you can end up with bits of it braking off and floating about inside your silencers which makes noise.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

One of the Xantias I look after has the same problem, the rear silencer buzzes, its not touching anything and if you place a foot on the tailpipe it stops totally, I quite fancy either strategically denting the side of it or pouring a pint of grout in, it has done this racket since the exhaust was fitted.
Stewart
Pat
My Cars:

Post by Pat »

Yes my activa has a hideous droning sound at about 65-75 mph , Horrible for motorway driving so I just go at 80 mph.
The cops have never stopped me!!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Go sparingly with the exhaust sealing compound if you use too much you can end up with bits of it braking off and floating about inside your silencers which makes noise.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Indeed. I think my wording of "slap a load of it on" was a bit excessive! It has been known to effect a good cure in the past though.
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

Thanks guys.... Im goin' to try the "shlap on sparingly" method as all else is in order, silencer etc.... Notsure about the "denting the side of it or pouring a pint of grout in" method, but would like find out more about it all the same...... Will report as soon as poss..[:D]
Kev....
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

Got some "Dirco HT" by Elring....permanently elastic, up to 250deg.C
I'll give it a go....
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

no luck Im afraid [:(] might try some more dirco ......
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

And still hasnt improved !!!!
Pirate Gold

Post by Pirate Gold »

Have exactly the same problem, thought vibration was through the air box, but i've remounted/rebolted it but hasn't stopped. Nasty rattle where 2 sections of the air inlet meet before air box/filter..bolted them together cured that noise. But cant track down what sounds like booming/blowing at 2000--2500 rpm..no leaks, mountings ok etc. Service next week if mechanic finds a cure I'll post it. I know it's a common problem as my nieghbours van is the same.
Gold Pirate

Post by Gold Pirate »

Problem solved, exhaust noise really loud by now, so taken to local Cit dealer in Banbury who diagnosed the problem straight away. Apparently very common on Berlingos it's due to the lid on the air filter box not sealing, they have put 2 spring steel clips on the front of the air box tightening the joining at the front hinged side...it's cured! Must assume the non seating halves must have disrupted the mass air flow sensor? Hope this helps.