Xantia whining noise - final drive (not bearing)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

abk
My Cars:

Xantia whining noise - final drive (not bearing)

Post by abk »

Hello
I have a 93(L reg) 2.0 litre automatic Xantia 89K miles purchased a few weeks ago. Occasionally I hear a whinning noise front end, I was convinced it was the wheel bearing driver side but after Pleiades careful examination I've been assured it is not and that it sounded more like a final drive noise. Has anyone experienced the same thing with their Xantia? I'll be looking around for some good Automatic Transmission Oil Treatment/additive, any recommendations?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Lots of Xantia's Iv'e been in have had a feint whine from the diff, though you only noticed it on good quiet road surfaces.
Strange that there should be any sound from it at all though from a company who's emblem stands for quiet running gear wheel technology.
The double chevrons on the bonet depict the gear teeth of a double helix gear wheel.
Dave
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I nearly went ape a few years ago trying to find a "rough bearing" noise in a CX. Turned out to be what was described as an "aggresive" tread pattern on the tyres.
Fitted new tyres; noise disappeared. It didn't happen to get noticed after a new set of tyres were fitted? Some of the Asian brands are renowned for it apparently.
Alan S
abk
My Cars:

Post by abk »

Thanks for your replies, very useful comments. I decided not to spend too much time/effort trying to eliminate this noise - I'll take it as it comes, maybe new tires or maybe some magical transmission oil treatment will do the job.
Cheers
clarkekd
My Cars:

Post by clarkekd »

My Xantia whined and I ignored it until one day I found out what it was when the serpentine belt tensioner fell off !