Smoking Xantia 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Air injection
A very early emissions control system, the Air injection reactor (AIR) reduces the products of incomplete combustion (hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide) by injecting fresh air into the exhaust manifolds of the engine. In the presence of this oxygen-laden air, further combustion occurs in the manifold and exhaust pipe. Generally the air is delivered through an engine-driven 'smog pump' and air tubing to the manifolds. This technology was introduced in 1966 in California, and was in use for the next several decades. It is not generally in use any longer, having been supplanted by cleaner burning engines and better catalytic converters.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I do agree that the original designed purpose of air injection was to burn the excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust gas of an engine, but it isn't particularly effective compared to more modern technologies and US manufacturers persisted with it for rather a long time and in some cases were using it to inject rather large volumes of air.
European and Japanese manufacturers put rather more R&D effort into their engines than their US counterparts, the US manufacturers tend to do things when they're forced too, either by laws that they can't buy their way out of or by competition. Air injection was cheap and convenient and didn't need a big R&D spend.
greggpask

Post by greggpask »

I normally save all my emmissions for the when the time comes and you have an arsehole tailgating you or a car load of baseball caps (you know what i mean) Then boot it at the lights and leave them coughing and spluttering in your smoke. GREAT FEELING!
Xantia 1.9tdsx 104.000
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when i take my customers diesel car for MOT i get out on main road on rout to test station knock in to 2nd and floor it for a few seconds usuly clears soot fairly quickly,gives it beter chance of pasing smoke test regards malcolm