Purpose of plastic protective shield under Volcane

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Foxy
My Cars:

Purpose of plastic protective shield under Volcane

Post by Foxy »

Having just aquired my 1.9 T.D. ZX Volcane, I'm a bit puzzled as to the reason there is a protective plastic shield covering the sump etc. I do know the sump on the diesel Volcane is aluminium. Is this shield purely for protection and is it really necessary? What a bind having to remove just for an oil change!!!!!!! It appears to be attached by self tappers and plastic ties.
Any advice appreciated. Foxy[8D]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Foxy, sump shields are an oft misunderstood component.
They serve principally two functions plus have a few other benefits.
First they actually increase the airflow through the grill and direct it through the radiators. Air pressure actually builds up under the front of a body travelling at speed and this pressure can reduce significantly the air that passes through the front of the car and thence the radiators. So it improves the air circulation round the engine not reduce it.
The next benefit is reduced noise, it reduces the sound being bounced up off the road and then it helps keep the engine bay and engine clean. It is a pain to remove but in my opinion, worth it. Robin
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Are all ZX's supposed to have one? Mines an R - Reg SX Turbo Diesel, and i dont have one, although there appears to be mounting points for something of that description. If it is supposed to have one, does anyone have one they would sell me? A purpose I could see one being for is to catch the odd drip of oil that seems to always leak from my engine, instead of having a dalmation looking drive! [:D] If anyone does then let me know wilkobob@tiscali.co.uk
Simon
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My Volcane doesnt have one either! sounds like one of those things that gets thrown away during servicing.
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My old ZX TD never had one.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Mine hasn't got one either.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

These shields do serve a useful purpose, and it's well worth having them.
Originally posted by oilyspanner
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> My Volcane doesnt have one either! sounds like one of those things that gets thrown away during servicing.
Stewart
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Maybe they were thrown away previously when, your car and many others have visited a main dealer, or even an independent.
Although when you consider they are throwing away part of your car without your permission, then they should not be doing that. [}:)] [:(!]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

My Xantia has an under-tray and fortunately, it has a little hatch just below the sump plug for oil draining. Unlike our Xsara. On that, the tray is solid and needs to be removed for oil changes.