Oil Change Interval on HDi?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Oil Change Interval on HDi?

Post by pete_wood_uk »

As I'm coming up to 6k miles since I bought my Xantia HDi 110, I notice that the oil change intervals are specified at 12k miles, or thereabouts as predicted by the service indicator.
Does anyone think that this is a good idea? It's running on semi-synthetic, I suppose, but I feel pretty uncomfortable with 12k intervals...
Thanks
Pete
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It seems to be the norm for modern diesels- I suppose because the fuelling is controlled so much better than it used to be and they run a lot cleaner now, and of course oils are very good now as well.
I do my old BX every 3000, but we also have a new Kia Carens diesel which is similar to the HDI set up- DI, 16v, etc, and the oil change interval is every 10000, but I tend to agree with you and will be doing an intermediate oil change every 5000 just for peace of mind and ensuring longevity.
I have noticed, however, that the oil doesn't blacken straight away as with the diesels of a few years back.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

How long are you going to keep it? What mileage is it likely to have done by then? What will it be worth then (next to nothing!) Why waste your money for someone else or the scrapman to get the benefit!
jeremy
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

The 12k interval is fine, provided you're not doing tiddly little town journeys all the time and low mileages (in which case a sparker would be better) or abusing the car as a taxi or summat.
Certainly an increasing number of pug HDi owners are cracking past 200k with the standard interval. Correspondingly, many pug, poxhall etc petrol engines are up to 20k intervals with seemingly no detrimental effect.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well I'm going on the basis of that you can't change the oil often enough! I used to change the oil in my old Dturbo (XUDT) every 5 - 6K, but it had the boost and pump tweaked and used to blacken the oil very quickly. In my newer HDi, I'm sticking Quartz 9000 in it and will probably change it every 8 - 9K. The oil stays very clean on this engine because of the better injection system and as such doesnt need a change so often.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Changin the oil at smaller intervals wont hurt it, also as its only a 20 min job you might as well
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The HDI doesn't have the high compression ratio that the 1.9 TD did and a higher spec oil is used to it can have longer intervals than the XUD did. Late 1.9TDs had a longer oil change interval than the earlier ones, the HDI longer again.
The lower compression ratio and lower temperatures have a bigger impact on the oil life than the injection system, pressure and temperature cause blowby.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I used to change oil in Diesels every 3000 miles using basic spec plant/truck oils, now I have TDs I have changed to semi synth and 6000 miles, I still dislike the idea of oil being in there for so long, my Sister has an Audi A2 and that seems to have the engine oil in it forever, I suppose the technology has improved but I have never heard of any harm being done by frequent oil changes.
Stewart
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>
but I have never heard of any harm being done by frequent oil changes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Except to the wallet.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by turbolag</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>
but I have never heard of any harm being done by frequent oil changes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Except to the wallet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Easy fix for that. If you have the space, buy a 205 Litre drum of oil. I buy one about every 2-3 years, which costs me about £140 a time. This makes an XUD sump of oil cost about £4, and with filters by the half dozen when they are on special offer, for under £2 each, that's £6 every 5000 miles for an oil service. Not bad methinks.
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

sorry for my ignorance but may I ask if oil have a shelf life.
regards
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Where I live, oil is best used before ones relatives use it for you, this works too ways currently its not my oil stockpiled in the garage...
Oil doesn't go off, not unless its in a car and being used.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Once talked to a taxi driver which Mercedes had 800.000kms (500kmiles) and he told me the engine had never been repaired.
He also told me his mates using cars with exactly the same engine had to open and repair the engine at only 400.000kms (250kmiles).
«How do you explain that?» I asked.
«Easy - they change oil and filters at regular intervals; I change oil and every filter (oil, air, diesel) every 7.500kms (5kmiles).»
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

The very early IDI MB diesels had 3k intervals, subsequently increased to 6k in later years, so a 5k change is nothing remarkable there.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I run a C3 HDI 70hp, and I'm using Total Quartz 9000 5w-40. I change the oil every 6,000 miles/10,000km as the majority of my driving is done in London, and consists of 7-8 mile journeys to and from work. I drive about 12,500miles a year so the car has an oil change every 6 months. Car has just covered 20,000 miles and in the that time it hasn't used a drop of oil between services, I keep checking but the level never changes. I intend to carry on like this because my oil takes a hammering, as it doesn't usually reach full operating temperature during my normal journey. Once a month though the car does get a good 400 mile run up the motorway, which clears the soot from the exhaust and helps keeps everything clean inside the engine.
I am however going to buy Total Quartz 9000 5w-30 oil in the future, as the lower viscosity should provide better lubrication for my shorter journeys.