Smoking Dashboard?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pain

Smoking Dashboard?

Post by pain »

Hi Everyone,
I've got a Citroen ZX 16v and lastnight when I turned the car over some smoke came out behind the dashboard? (behind the speedo/rev counters etc) the car was then dide and wouldnt even turn over.
My mate has taken the Speedo / Rev Counter unit out and there are like DATA cables (like computer data cables or something) and 1 of them has burnt out.
I just wondered if this makes any sense or if anyone could help me work out what has happened.
Thanks in advance.
Rich
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This could happen if you have a bad earth cable to the engine block.
You should have a heavy gauge black cable running from battery to the gearbox somewhere. Remove this cable and clean contact areas both ends. At the same time check out the general condition of the cable.
I think we need more details on your ZX : What yearmodel/model variant/engine size ?
pain

Post by pain »

Hi again,
Well.. we worked out what it was, the cables going from the batt/relays/fuses had burnt out! Could it of been rubbing on the gearbox?! Anyway.. it was a total mess but we have managed to (using a haynes manual) connect all the wires back get every working. Well.. almost! now it seems i have no oil pressure, that's what the guage is telling and my temp guage is all over the shop? .. very strange.
zx = 1993 16v 2.0
cheers
rich
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

If the guages are annalogue (which im sure they will be) then you might have suffered permanant fatal damage in them. But check for continuity in the wire from the guage to the sensor, you never know you might find there is a cable that is still not quite right!
If you suspect chaffing to have caused the wires to fail then you might want to protect them with somthing to sop it happening again!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Isn't it an oil temperature gauge? ZX temp gauges do tend to fluctuate as you go around corners - they're not very well damped!