Xantia front height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

silverback

Xantia front height

Post by silverback »

Does anyone know what the correct height should be from the ground to top of the wheel arch for a '99 Xantia Hdi on normal ride setting, with the engine running please.
I think mine is sitting too high and I don't have a manual.[:I]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy did a research on this subject : http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=13066
If you seem to get lost in the tables for model/year/tyre size - then you can always use the rule of "half-n-half" :
Have engine idle handbrakes on.
Now set the suspension height to HIghest height.
Make a marking on the wing using a scale
Now set the height to absolutely lowest.
Make a new marking in vertical line with the first one - from the same point on the scale.
The correct drive height would be exactly midway between these 2 markings - from same point on the scale.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

This method may not be very accurate, as in the high position the full pressure of the hydraulic system is compressing the top rubber snubber limit stop, so it moves higher than it normally would during a rebound, while in the low position you just have the weight of the car sitting on the bottom snubbers which will compress them a little bit, but not nearly as much as in the up position.
It may be a bit different on a Xantia (with struts and no upper wishbone) but on the GS and CX measuring the half way point between the suspension being right up and down is definately not half way between *just* touching the snubbers...and not the same height as specified in the manual. (It will be too high)
YMMV of course [:)]
silverback

Post by silverback »

Thanks for the replies.
The reason I am asking is that I think mine may be a bit high. I also get a bit of 'wobble' at the front wheels when accelerating from a standstill.
The front is a bit slow to drop sometimes too, although citearobics does help it.
Regards.