Is the engine seized?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If the cams still turn now that you have moved the engine,, then something is awry. A jammed starter? don't think so. Try gently rotating both cams therough 360 degrees. If that works, then engine is not at tdc, obviously. A siezed oil pump is a possibility, but a remote one. I'd be squirting some wd down each bore in case there is some rust in the bore. This could be caused by long disuse or a shot head gasket. If you are still getting nowhere, then Off with its head, I'm afraid.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Tom, the cams only turned once I had disengaged the timing belt. The inlet cam only turned so far before I felt a valve touch piston. I looked into the spark holes and could almost see the piston crowns..it must be close.
I've sprayed some oil into the cylinders...could corroded bores really cause the engine to be that tight??
Should I take the sump off? Check all the con rods are still attached, check for play in the bearings, etc?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I would try turning the cam until the piston is free of the valve then try to get the crank to turn again in the other direction. Remember that it is now possible to remove the cam caps to close all the valves so you can work the crank to your heart's content. I suspect that now is the hour!
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

Is this the white one that was on ebay?
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DarkendViper</i>

Is this the white one that was on ebay?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes!! Do you know its' history??
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gjb02</i>

I can't remember...how do you know when the crank is locked in the correct rotation?
The cams only lock in one place...and the crank makes two revolutions per cycle..
I guess what I'm asking is how do I know if it's not 180 degrees out??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There is only one place that the crank and cams can be locked so you can't end up with it 180 degrees out. These things have to be designed so a production line monkey can't get it wrong.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Thanks for that. Once I get the crank free at least I'll be able to set up the timing!![:)]
Any ideas yet?
Worst case scenario...the crank has seized. How do I sort it?
Is the oil pump pickup blocked, is an oilway blocked, did a big end bearing fail. Could any of these things have happened after a cylinder head overhaul?
The bottom end is rock solid, the small amount I have moved it previously has obviously locked it further.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I think that the crank has seized in place.I looked at buying it but when i looked i priced up that it might need another crank. Best bet is to whip the sump off and see what it looks like. Pictures could be helpful. One of the bearings could have seized or moved slightly.
It is possible to get the timing 180 degrees out, I've done it. It ran but wouldn't rev abouve 3.5k. It also supped more juice than normal :(
Ste
I don't know it's history. But did look at it. May I ask what you got it for? Also how badly dented is the rear. I never got to look myself but cousin did. He didn't look at the body, I just wanted the engine.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I've done more research..
Apparently it is possible for the starter to jam in the flywheel, locking the engine solid!! The solenoid will still click, but you won't be able to jump/bump start the engine nor rotate the crank. I have read of this happening to a BX Diesel on this very forum, and it's almost the same engine...[:)]
Fingers are crossed, I'll be investigating the starter soon.
Unless anyone can shoot that idea down in flames![:0]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

some one already sugested this once on the forum, i would remove the starter then check the sump if needs be. i had this happen on a 1.9 gti engine so it is possible.
Andy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Seen it happen with easy start, teeth on starter and flyheel on top instead of meshing, sounds more like hydraulic lock to me, plugs out , socket on crank pulley bolt, turn and listen, call me back;D
Stewart
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Update : If the engine is seized.
I have some reasonable prices for the crank work.
Regrind £80 +vat
Crank bearings £27 +vat
Big End bearings £22 +vat
As well as that, head gasket, timing belt, head bolts, oil, engine hoist hire etc. Could see the price rise to around £250 +vat.
Ah well, lets hope it doesn't come to that.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

That's why I didn't bother with it. I would have liked it but couldn't be bothered with the extra work that might be involved.
Hope it's something esy for you.
Ste
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I have contacted previous owner...apparently thousands have been spent. The engine was replaced, the cylinder head was worked on, new driveshafts...the list goes on.
It turns out the radiator may have had a small leak...the engine overheated, there was nothing wrong with the head, or running, so he continued to drive the car around.
Then he had a bit of an oil leak after hitting something..the engine may have run dry of oil for a while, refilled it, and soon after the engine refused to start.
Chances are this engine has seized. Either way I think the head will have to come off, as will the sump. If I can get the engine out I may even refurbish the bottom end..depends on whether the cylinder bores have been scraped dry or not. This won't be too expensive, it will just be a pain in the a*$e.[:)]