Headlamp adjustment '01 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

littleredrooster

Headlamp adjustment '01 Xantia

Post by littleredrooster »

Had the new car for two weeks now and love it to bits.
One niggling problem has surfaced, however: the headlamps are badly adjusted; LHS is too low, RHS is pointing too far left leaving a big shadow in the road on main beam.
I lifted the bonnet t'other day and had a fish about, but cannot for the life of me see how to adjust the damn things. It should be pointed out, however, that I have a degree in overlooking the bleeding obvious!
Anyone care to offer advice, please?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The MKI headlights have adjusters that can be adjusted with a long 7mm allen key, the later MKIs can also be adjusted with a philips screwdrivers. On the MKI the front crossmember has two holes in it above and towards the back of the headlights, sticking your allen key / screwdriver in these adjusts, one does up/down the other left right.
Yours is a MKII so it could be completely different or it could be similar. Headlight alignment on Xantia's doesn't go out of adjustment on Xantias unless their front end takes a knock, and then they're very prone to it.
littleredrooster

Hmmmm...no holes in front crossmember, and a plastic trim around front edge of headlight.
????
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

The holes for up/down adjustment are in the shiney plastic crossmember, dead centre to the h/lamp and about 3ins back.
The adjustment for side to side are on the back of the h/lamps thenselves.
You will need a long 6mm allen key.
littleredrooster

So do you adjust the side-to-side from the back not the front?
littleredrooster

Found them!! As Kowalski suggested, both are adjusted from above with a 6mm allen key. Clever little geared arrangement on both adjusters. The thing that threw me was the almost-flush-fitting grommets which cover the adjustment holes.
All I need now is a dark road......
Thanks, chaps.