Will i pass an MOT?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Will i pass an MOT?

Post by vanny »

Well after a few days charging up the battery, i popped it back into the car and tried to start it back up! And here the story starts!
I knew what was coming so primed the fuel TWICE and drained a little off each time. Then ran the glowplugs through heating process twice. The starter was lovely and healthy (it's my spare after lending the one on the engine to a friend!) and the engine turned but hardly any life in her and she didn't want to start at all. So after about 10 revolutions of the engine i stopped, reprimed and reheated. This time it almost sounded like it might actually work and after about 20 revolutions it just wasn't having any of it! One more go of priming and heating and while pumping the gas pedal it eventually suttered into life!
Now for a heads up, it's been 'resting' for about 4 months, pointing nose up a 30% incline outside in the cold and rain. When it eventually started, it was one of those moments you grit your teeth and hope for the best! The garden totally dissapeared in thick white smoke, which after a minute of so had pretty much dissapeared. Revving the engine som more came out and after 5 minutes or so there was only smog coming out when taking the car upto around 4k revs and letting off!
It had already been difficult to start before being laid up, but that was a bit viscious. I'm guessing the smog is from oil running into the wrong places, and general difficulty starting was down to being laid up. But could this be a sign of naff compression and or dead glowplugs?
The MOT isn't for a month or so and i have exams between then and now, but i would like to get everything working a little better by then!
Any suggestions? (Oil level and coolant level are good, air filter is new, oil is on about 4k miles and probably due for a change next weekend, need new drop link on drivers side, PAS ram needs reconing, Rear exhaust bracket is in the glove box, one of the head ligths has come a little loose from the car, probably needs a new clutch if i can figure out a proper cable that will fit, accessorie belt has no tensioner, radiator/intercooler needs rearranging, and theres a tonne of wiring that would be nice to finish off! i have missed a few other bits like the rear brakes and discs need doing)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Can't you study for your exam - while you're doing up this BX for MOT ?
You need exactly each side of your brain doing both jobs [8D]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Dont know if you will pass the MOT, but the car certainly wont in that condition! [:D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Might just be fuel running back after all that time, I will bet it will start tomorrow, Study,try 40 minutes of revision and 40 mins of BXing, as Anders says you are using totally different hemispheres and a change is as good as a rest.
Stewart
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree that it may have needed priming/bleedingand basically you have done this by brute force. On older diesels the instructions for bleeding included loosening off the injector pipes and bleeding them by turning the engine until fuel came out. If you were lucky it would start after a couple had been done.
The smoke was simply unburnt fuel left in the combustion chambers when starting ans while spectacular is probably of no importance.
I agree - try it tomorow and see what happens. If it doesn't start easily then start on the simple bits - like the glowplugs - simply meter them - take the lead off and do them indvidually and the resistance should be zero - if not they are dud. While you've got the meter out its worth checking that they actually do work - measure voltage at the plug top while operating them and make sure they do actually come on in the preheat position.
If you're doubtful about the MOT only do the MOT items. Don't bother with the oil change, and do the minimum thats cheap - like the exhaust bracket - then take it for the MOT and see what they say. Rear brakes are well hidden and in reality don't do much unless the car is loaded so providing they are not siezed they will probably pass. (Worth putting a bit of weight in the car - eg your toolbox or something to make sure there is some pressure in the back suspension.)
jeremy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I figure it might be fuel running back and as it's been happening for some while (after leaving for maybe a couple of hours) i think i might have a leak some where and i plan on replacing the rubber pipes on the engine end, already have them bought in. Im just worried that if it's NOT the fueling then there may be something more sinister!
I hvae two new glow plugs in there, but those behind the diesel pump havent been done yet (can't think why!). Having metered the plug wires just before she was laid up i was getting a happy voltage just over 12v which i think is pretty damn fine! The earthings to the engine and chasis have all been replaced at various points (engine, chasis etc).
I'm sure it will be a little easier to start tomorrow but im now 20 miles away back at uni and trying not to worry about it till next weekend! I Still have some time on the old MOT so time enough to get insurance and tax to trundle round on for the mean time!
The car WON'T be going to the scrap so i'm not too concerned about avoiding doing the fluids, tend to do a lot of them just as part of the pre MOT service! Unfortunately my rear wheels are FAR from hidden with rather obvious 17" 5 spoke alloys, i could always cover them with the steelies again, but corrosion WAS brought up at the last MOT and i haven't done anthing about it since! There certainly not siezed as the pads are reasonably worn! I think i might sand down the edges and see what happens, but have ordered Ferrodo pads in the mean time!
Is it possible to buy water hose 'off the shelf' in lengths??
Does anyone know somewhere that will examine my alarm system and certify it? It was 'professionally' installed by a local gang of idiots, but i'm still waiting for the invoice and the reason why a Mircoscan alarm was fitted instead of a Cobra as quoted! They wont let me certify it myself even with my HND in electronics!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If its been sitting for months through the winter the diesel tank and fuel system are probably full if condensation water, dead rats, and god knows what else!!!
You may have to bite the bullet and chuck whats in the tank.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

thats cool, it was on the light for a few days before being layed up [:D]
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you checked or changed the fuel filter? they can cause quite an obstruction in the fuel circuit if they have done 20k or more.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My local accessory shop stocks good old heater hose in various sizes and I've replaced a number of the nicely shaped hoses on my BX TD with it. Incidentally I think quinton Hazell do a bottom hose for the TD BX (GSF don't) QH are now putting all their catalogues on the net in downloadable PDF form.
jeremy